Agriculture systems and methods in Taiwan

What…? It can. You know Taiwan already does this yeah? Obviously that doesn’t happen when people just burn trash in a field.

From 2017:
Due to its limited available land space and natural resources, Taiwan has 24 waste-to-energy (WTE) plants in operation, the highest density of MSW incinertaors (number of MSW incinerators/land area) in the world. The total design power generation capacity of these 24 WTE plants is 558.5 MW.

That’s the point - it’s why Taiwan burns something like >90% of household waste (IIRC).

Well, then there needs to be something to discourage people from burning waste out in the open. Maybe smaller incinerators that can be conveniently deployed in rural areas, or just better waste collection and penalty for burning waste in the open (which I know there is, but it’s hardly enforced).

Taiwan already has FREE garbage pickup in most areas. Out here its 6 days a week and they drive by your house. Except for tiny roads then take to to the corner. Only cities charge you, and its dirt cheap at that. This is already above and beyond motivating people to throw trash away in the trucks. This is a simple case of hybridizing MASSIVE entitlement and laziness!

Its important to note AG waste isnt just innocent leaves and twigs. Its very high levels of metals plastics and chemicals used tokill plants/animals/fungi along with some fertilizers. Its not clean waste and its not incinerated. Its burnt wet and slow and creates huge mounts of smoke :frowning:

So people just burn them because they’re lazy?

I know of places where there are no waste collection because it’s a commercial/industrial area, and they charge something like 10NT per kg to haul their trash away.

When I was helping a person clear their 20 foot container out I encountered that problem. The facility said that they are charged massive amounts for garbage and so I have to take them away for disposal. Like truck it home at my expense and then put them into the red bags or whatever other method in your town/city for disposal.

So if the location you pictured has people burning trash in open piles, perhaps they have that problem where the government for whatever reason does not do garbage collection service in that area? In which case they’re forced to use private garbage collectors who charge out the ass for it.

Metal pieces I don’t understand because scrap yards will PAY you about 15NT per kg for metal scraps. They’re worth good money. A whole truckload of metal pieces would get you something like 8000nt. This is actually one reason why people steal cables, sewer covers, etc.

Yes they have garbage collection. Thats why i mentioned the truck passes that pit 6 days a week. Recycle twice a week…this isnt 6 hours into the deep mountains…i also think that if you farm commercially you have infrastructure to transport your crops. So you are, by proxy, able to transport trash. Most mountain places still have collection but thy have centralized collection spots. Very few exceptions exist for not disposing properly. To boot, many people drive further INTO the mountains to dump trash. Which is beyond the definition of retarded unless thy are dumping bodies or somethin illegal.

The metal i am referin to is more metl linings on bags steel wire, metals in sprays etc. No one is recycling that due tocost of labor to make it recyclable. The issue is, moreso with micro metals in sprays when burnt it goes in the air. It also settles in.concentrated low areas…also making the soil and water contaminated.

Yes ,i do think if people have 6 days a week free garbage service to their door and they just burn it in piles, those people are lazy. And sellfish d bags for poisoning other people.

1 Like

Then you need to document the act and report it. There are penalties for burning waste. I saw on the news a factory owner got fined 10 million for illegally burning waste in their factory even though there are collections to the door. I think there can be jail time too if it’s particularly serious.

In fact if you have a pile of wood you can just take it to the garbage truck and they will throw it, without the bags (those wont fit into any bags).

You can also take it to the dump, I believe if you got a lot and can get them onto a truck. The government offers this service for free.

Just document and report the dirtbags.

In my old shop there was a corner where people just drive by and dump trash… they are already in the red bag too. They’re just too lazy or busy to take it to a garbage truck. Now that they’re all demolished I hope this behavior will stop.

I don’t understand dumping appliance into the mountains considering that scrap yard will pay for those. They have lots of metal to recover… copper, aluminum, all worth good money. I mean I can understand leaving it at the curb if you don’t have the time as there are people who will take them to sell to the scrap yard. But why dump it in the mountain? Does it contain narcotics?

The mountain situation. Good examples are furniture. Beds, sofas etc. Some steel, which is dirt cheap, and some effort removing all the fabric, plastic, wood etc. I dont get it either, buts it is very common nation wide :frowning:
Maybe we should throw in a little unintelligent to the brew of entitled and lazy.

Reporting does little outside of industrial and commercial realms. Possibly residential ones in some cities as well. Burning rice fields, orchard trimmings etc are illegal too. Even just the dried leaves. As is burning weeds at tomb sweeping. Certain situations police just dont do dick, even when reported.

There is also a free Agricultural waste removal service, when we cut some brush down at the farm there was too much for the light burn (we dig the ash back into the soil). We had to pile it all up at the edge of the land, they came with a truck with grabber arm and picked it up.
We have a friend with a concrete pit like the one in your photo on his cacao plot, the same sort of truck come to empty it for him when needed.
i dont know if this is just a Pingtung thing or country wide, but i have seen the advertisements on tv highlighting the service.

1 Like

Nice! Ya thats country wide. Wood recycling is a thing in some areas as well. if its a large quantity and not huge logs etc you can call the garbage center and thy will arrange a truck for you as well.

We burn wood for aharcoal as a soil amendment like you. But its strictly wood and we burn hot ~dry~ wood then burry so there isnt a huge amount of smoke.

Really is no excuse to be burning garbage…

In most urban areas, there should be someone who does that that old collects things to sell to the scrap yard? Ask the street/area warden if you do not know.

I got this nice treat on a yam section from RT mart :joy:

Ps. This is the same black plastic as the farm plastic previously shown. The root grew around it. Imagine inside peices unnoticed getting bbq and soup stewed haha. YUM

2 Likes