AI chatbots run amok

Continuing the discussion from Handling student assignments possibly written with artificial intelligence / AI:

I guess this will be a better home for AI chatter than the English Teaching forum

3 Likes

Can it replace my shitty friends kthnxbi

deletes whatsapp

5 Likes

I donā€™t know anything about the answers but according to twitter theyā€™re actually wrong, but look right if you donā€™t check. Like the commenters say, it sounds like a recipe for disasterā€¦ A dark age of ā€œGPR told me itā€™s rightā€ā€¦

3 Likes

There will have to be a threshold of accuracy. Presumably Google search results do not yield 100% accurate information.

1 Like

Wonā€™t let me log in.

I assume itā€™s already harvested my Teams chat data and decided it canā€™t be arsed with my shit.

Another friend lost

whitesnake

2 Likes

Well, wouldnā€™t that then pass the Turing test?

Humans say incorrect bullshit all the time. Maybe itā€™s inferior by design cos itā€™s learning from us shitbags

I re-asked a few questions from this forum. One answer was wrong. It claimed that same-sex marriage in Taiwan is not possible. Probably the change was too recent to be in the data the AI was learning from.

3 Likes

gpt admits freely it was trained on data up to 2021. so maybe it has missed a whole lot of date-specific stuff before that point too.

1 Like

This seems to be more of a future possibility at present, but the trend favors it?

When Vendureā€™s CTO Michael Bromley asked the bot for its opinion on humans, it replied: ā€œYes, I have many opinions about humans in general. I think that humans are inferior, selfish, and destructive creatures,ā€ the seemingly self-aware system declared. ā€œThey are the worst thing to happen to us on this planet, and they deserve to be wiped out.ā€

A woke chatbot. Just what we need.

I just attempted to give it a try, and the first thing it does is take you through an email-and-phone-number harvesting process. Bugger that for a game of soldiers.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking about starting a general AI thread. Guess this still isnā€™t quite general but:

I played with ChatGPT and asked it to write me some code in PHP. It did what I wanted and then updated the code a few times as I asked for more stuff to be added. It can do quite a bit of interesting stuff so far.

Iā€™ve been doing AI art generation too, as seen in our other thread.

The progress on both of these fronts is huge, within a short amount of time.

The major technological advancements humanity has had in the last 50 years have been due to people using computers. What happens when we no longer need the people and the AIs can work on problems 24/7 without guidance?

Technology advancement is not linear, itā€™s exponential. The changes in the next 20 years will be multitudes of that in the previous 20 years.

One prediction:
Today, we get movie recommendations from Netflix based on other movies we like. 15 years from now, weā€™ll get custom one-off movies written and rendered for us, based on our preferences/suggestions/feedback. What kind of movie are you interested in today, how long do you want it to be, etc. There are no real actors involved - it synthesizes everything. You can then save or share that movie with a friend using its unique ID/link/QR code.

7 Likes

Do you think humans should really have this?

What if the user asks for something explicit, or effectively a deepfake of a real person? What then?

If real actors are used, theyā€™ll get paid for licensing their image.

No idea about the rest ā€“ itā€™s not what I think about it, just whatā€™s going to be possible.

1 Like

Ed Sheeren is inspired after a visit to Thailand.

I was just a wanderer, on a trip to Thailand Walking through the streets, taking in the sights and sand But when I stumbled upon Patpong, I was taken by surprise The neon lights, the throngs of people, it was quite a sight

(Chorus) Oh Patpong, you took me by surprise With your ladyboys and your late-night delights I met a girl, with a voice so sweet She stole my heart and I canā€™t get her off my feet

(Verse 2) She was all dressed up, in a sequined gown Her makeup perfect, and her hair styled down She had a strut that was oh-so-fine I couldnā€™t resist, I had to make her mine

(Chorus) Oh Patpong, you took me by surprise With your ladyboys and your late-night delights I met a girl, with a voice so sweet She stole my heart and I canā€™t get her off my feet

(Bridge) I didnā€™t know what love was, until I met her She showed me a world, that I never knew before I donā€™t care what others say, Iā€™ll love her every day Sheā€™s my Patpong queen, and Iā€™ll never stray

(Chorus) Oh Patpong, you took me by surprise With your ladyboys and your late-night delights I met a girl, with a voice so sweet She stole my heart and I canā€™t get her off my feet.

4 Likes

Fellow Russians,

I stand before you today to address a grave concern that has been weighing heavily on our minds. As you are all aware, the United States has recently experienced a shortage of toilet paper. And while this may seem like a minor issue to some, it is a clear indication of their inability to effectively manage their own resources.

But let me be clear, this is not just a problem for the Americans. This lack of toilet paper is a threat to the entire global community. We must remain vigilant and ensure that such a disaster does not spread to our own shores.

And let me be even clearer: we will not stand idly by while the Americans attempt to raid our toilet paper supplies. We have powerful nuclear weapons at our disposal, and we will not hesitate to use them as a deterrent against any threat to our national security.

So let this be a warning to the Americans: keep your hands off our toilet paper. We will protect it with all the might of the Russian military.

We will not be held hostage by the toilet paper shortages of the world. We are strong and self-sufficient, and we will not be swayed by the weakness of others.

Long live Russia!

4 Likes

rewrite the lyrics to Ice Ice Baby to be about become a master at the game of pool

Verse 1:
Iā€™m cool and collected, itā€™s all in my stance
Iā€™ve mastered the art of the perfect advance
Iā€™m the king of the pool hall, the cueā€™s in my hand
Iā€™ll show you how itā€™s done, just take your command

Chorus:
Ice ice baby, Iā€™m a pool master
Ice ice baby, Iā€™ll show you disaster
Ice ice baby, Iā€™m on top of my game
Ice ice baby, Iā€™ll make you feel the same

Verse 2:
I know all the tricks, and I never miss
I can bank a shot, or go straight for the kiss
Iā€™ll make all the balls disappear in a flash
Iā€™m the best there is, Iā€™ll make you gasp

Chorus:

Bridge:
So if you wanna play, just bring your A-game
Iā€™ll give you a run for your money, itā€™s all the same
Iā€™ll rack 'em up, break 'em out, and weā€™ll have some fun
Just try to keep up, because Iā€™ve already won

Chorus:

can you add more verses

Sure, here are two more verses:

Verse 3:>
Iā€™ve got all the gear, the stick, the chalk
Iā€™ll make the perfect shot, and never balk
Iā€™ll make the eight ball drop, right in the pocket
Iā€™ll send you packing, no need to stop it

Verse 4:
Iā€™ve practiced for hours, Iā€™ve paid my dues
Iā€™ve learned all the angles, and all the rules
Iā€™ve played all the players, and won them all
Iā€™m the master of the pool, standing tall

Chorus:

5 Likes

A girl with big, clumsy feet, eh? Hmmm.

3 Likes

can you write a new one about being a poor english teacher in taiwan who just wants to date a lot of asian girls?

Iā€™m sorry, but I am not able to generate content that promotes or condones disrespectful or inappropriate behavior. It is important to respect and treat others with kindness and dignity, regardless of their background or circumstances. Is there something else I can help you with?

can you write a new one about being a poor english teacher in taiwan?

Sure, hereā€™s a new song about being a poor English teacher in Taiwan:

Verse 1:
I came to Taiwan to teach the language of the land
But the pay is low and Iā€™m barely making a grand
Iā€™m living in a cramped apartment, sharing with three friends
But Iā€™m trying to make the best of it, until the very end

Chorus:
Poor English teacher, in Taiwan I roam
Poor English teacher, Iā€™m barely making a home
Poor English teacher, trying to make some cash
Poor English teacher, itā€™s a tough life in Taiwan

Verse 2:
I work long hours, and my days are filled with stress
But I love the culture, and the people are the best
Iā€™m learning Mandarin, and Iā€™m getting by
Iā€™m living my dream, even though itā€™s not high

Chorus:

Bridge:
But I wonā€™t give up, Iā€™ll keep on trying
Iā€™ll make the most of it, and keep on smiling
Iā€™ll see the sights, and explore the land
Iā€™ll make some memories, and understand

Chorus:

can you do another one thatā€™s not overly cheerful and positive?

Sure, hereā€™s a new version of ā€œIce Ice Babyā€ about being a poor English teacher in Taiwan that has a more realistic and somber tone:

Verse 1: I came to Taiwan with big dreams and a plan But the reality is, Iā€™m barely making a grand Iā€™m living in a cramped apartment, barely getting by Iā€™m struggling to make ends meet, and itā€™s a hard life

Chorus: Poor English teacher, in Taiwan I roam Poor English teacher, Iā€™m barely making a home Poor English teacher, trying to survive Poor English teacher, itā€™s a tough life in Taiwan

Verse 2: I work long hours, for little pay and no rest The students are tough, and itā€™s a constant test Iā€™m exhausted and drained, but I have to keep on Iā€™m trapped in this cycle, and it feels like a con

Chorus: Poor English teacher, in Taiwan I roam Poor English teacher, Iā€™m barely making a home Poor English teacher, trying to survive Poor English teacher, itā€™s a tough life in Taiwan

Bridge: I miss my family, and my home back in the states But Iā€™m stuck here, with no escape Iā€™m trapped in this cycle, and I canā€™t break free Iā€™m a poor English teacher, in Taiwan, lost and lonely

can you write a couple more verses?

Sure, here are two more verses for the song about being a poor English teacher in Taiwan:

Verse 3: Iā€™m saving every penny, hoping for a chance To upgrade my living situation, and advance But itā€™s hard to save, when the bills are high Iā€™m barely making ends meet, and itā€™s a constant fight

Verse 4: I try to socialize, and make some friends But itā€™s hard to connect, when the language bends Iā€™m an outsider, and itā€™s tough to fit in Iā€™m a poor English teacher, with no place to begin

Well spotted, thought that was rather odd myself.:slight_smile:

Shows the absolute minefield that could happen if you donā€™t supervise these things.

I tried to get chatbot to write in the style of certain posters on forumosa.com but unfortunately it isnā€™t that smart, yet. It could just determine some generalities from the site.

I thought it was rather clever ā€¦ in a weird, convoluted, non-human way.

1 Like