AI is making a huge splash

Or Ray Finkle. Laces out!

1 Like

I agree.

However there is a concern that AI will leave a huge portion of the population who are lower on the end of intelligence in a significant disadvantage than ever before. And this technology is moving faster than anything we’ve experienced in my opinion.

There is always some growing pains so to speak with new technologies changing society but I think this one will be particularly challenging.

1 Like

The counter to that is that the non industrial blue collar boomers are done. Retiring or dying. AI isn’t going to do HVAC for example.

And the world needs ditch diggers, too, as a wise man once said.

Why can’t a computer drive the machine that digs the ditch?

1 Like

Because machines break, and human supervisors will still be necessary, I think by law, to make sure they don’t dig up grandma.

But you said “ditch diggers,” right? What you are describing are “human supervisors” (of @TT 's envisioned AI-operated ditch digging machines).

Guy

Dude, it’s a quote from a movie. It’s fantasy to think AI will be picking up garbage disposals and fixing faucets.

If and when it does, there will be some pain along the way.

Guy

Not at all, the technology for this mostly exists, as long as there is minimal compliance from citizens

For now, plumbers are safe, sure. And probably for our lifetimes

The digging of ditches is not likely to be a growing field, probably the opposite

So what? Should we curtail productivity because people will lose jobs? Or just in certain areas? Who decides? The Borg?

Nobody is saying this, calm down

It might be good to have a safety net for those who will be affected, or to plan for changes to education and investment etc. to make sure that people are ready for the available jobs of the future. We have too many liberal arts degrees and not enough tradespeople.

But who decides who goes where? It is a tough one

1 Like

I did not do this on purpose, but it does look very clever!

Can AI be punny?

1 Like

OK Let me give you an example.

Boeing’s 737 Max got some attention a while ago. After killing a couple of airplanes of people, it wasn’t very good attention was it.

It turns out the brand new AI piloting programmed for that plane wasn’t doing such a great job. Those planes needed to be grounded, that issue needed to be fixed.

“Personal responsibility,” “cutting red tape,” all other cliches . . . not so helpful here. Some regulation of these changes was needed. More will be needed going forward.

Guy

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Mick? Is that you?

Is that not what I said? The world needs ditch diggers. Vocational Ed. Hello?

Not in my mind. Mr. Market decides. But again, you guys seem to think AI will be a panacea.

It won’t. It’ll be great for space exploration and off planet mining and resource exploitation tho.

Hence, human supervision. :idunno:

That is not what I said, and not what I believe. But it does have wide ranging applications and will be highly disruptive for years to come

He might decide on high unemployment

What you said was ditch diggers, this specific example is something that can easily be automated. I see now you were speaking figuratively with a poor choice of example. Plumbing, where I agreed with you, is a better example.

Seems that I am responding to what you did say, and you are responding to what I didn’t
:idunno:

1 Like

Sure, OK. And industrialization radically changed farming.

OK. So how about Obama’s shovel ready jobs. Didn’t Biden just start something so folks could go plant trees. lol

Which again is a metaphor based on a line from Caddyshack ffs.

Seems like you are anxious but not really clear about why. We have high unemployment now. It’s just called people not even trying to work. :idunno:

The MCAS system isn’t anything resembling AI.

Boeing’s 737 max mcas problems was purely people driven, from covering up known issues during testing to leaving a description of its operation out of the manual to shortcutting the (very manual) certification proceSs.

1 Like

Mr. Market would likely decide they’re mostly expendable. Then what do you do, as a society that presumably cares about more than optimizing profit?

Pay people to not work, which is what we already do. I don’t think that big philosophical questions like “Society” are on the minds of the ditchdiggers.

Or, you create as much chaos as possible, and start a war or back some country we can kick the shit out of into a corner.

There aren’t many clean and good choices left. Maybe we ask AI what to do, so we can put the onus on anything except our elected offcials. :doh:

2 Likes