AI is making a huge splash

Blame Obama?

2 Likes

1 Like

A sports company is using AI to do live inplay update for trading. Their update for a kick at goal was several seconds behind my live stadium feed when I had seen the goal kicked. Why are they slow? The fastest updates are stadium feeds or having scouts at the stadium who can send data quickly but scouts can make errors or also be slower than a live feed.

Last week I was watching Arsenal and Tottenham football on MOD. MOD was over 25 seconds slower than my stadium feed. Now MOD is a broadcaster so delivery time is not important and broadcasters have slower feeds this is normal. But if you are betting inplay live on the game or doing odds compiling MOD would not be a service you would use.

1 Like

So much for that 20 bucks an hour low skill job.

2 Likes

Is that an actual issue with AI, or latency from being off-site? Seems like the latter.

Its an issue that AI can only use what it is given. Hence you are correct the latency in delivery time is critical. So AI will affect my side of the business as I am a content provider but for the companies doing the analysis for live in play odds or sports betting.

I am not seeing AI replace humans when it comes to doing analysis odds or sports betting.
In fact a lot of sports books now have outsourced their trading to other companies they don’t even do it themselves.

That’s a pretty easily solvable problem (especially with more major sports leagues moving to embrace betting).

Already being done in sports books (and in use by bettors).

1 Like

Sports leagues do not control the delivery time of live video audio. But take the NFL, the NFL has sold data rights two companies only. They use that data to compile live in play odds they sell to sports books. So the adds change live during the game. Both are my clients, so their traders and odds compilers get data from NFL who have people at the stadium typing in. Then they get vision from my company and or other companies like mine. A lot of companies use multiple sources for redundancy. My clients also let me know my delivery times compared to other suppliers.

So for companies that don’t have access the NFL data or buy that from the two companies that have it, they can get vision from me. They also look at other sports company websites and monitor their data as they trade against each other.

Sports books have AI yes but I deal with their traders on a daily basis. They certainly are not all being replaced by AI. I’m not sure would say sports leagues embrace betting. They like the sponsorship money though lol

The EPL has instructed teams that they will no longer be allowed to have sports book logos on their sports clothing attire anymore as betting addiction is a huge problem. So actually many sports federations are moving along the same way to remove sports betting company logos from players clothing.

Sports betting is a growing industry especially the live in play betting now that it is allowed in the USA. Also covid helped, many people stuck at home or who lost jobs moved into sports betting to earn a living. Sports books will also ban accounts for what they call “suspicious” accounts. My feeds are fast enough I can see a call on a play before the sports books see it and close the markets. They don’t like other people having what they call an “unfair advantage” lol

I don’t know either way, but regardless, it’s not an all or nothing proposition, and it’s certainly moving that way. Not really a surprise, given it’s automated use in trading.

It’s beyond advertising. NFL announcers talk lines and prop bets during broadcasts. AZ has a sports book adjacent the stadium. Washington building one. multiple sportbook partners. Betting lounges in stadiums. They license performance.data to an analytics firm for betting. Video is licensed to sports books. It’s not horse racing, but if that’s not embracing betting, I’m not sure what is.

1 Like

OK.

Idk, sounds to me like simply a question of time, until AI can do that. I don’t see what would prohibit the technology from learning to judge a shot, flag or penalty if the training dataset is large enough.

Assuming this technology and its capabilities grow exponentially, we hit singularity before any smart naked monkey can invent something that creates such an amount of jobs to cover for the resulting jobloss.
Maybe the capitalist consoomer way of thinking we adapted over the last century is not the best model for the comming future.

It’s wishful thinking to think mashines can’t and won’t do that. A linear mindset applied to an exponential problem.

1 Like

And what pray tell, is? I bet it ain’t free.

This doesn’t hold up. The earlier you look in the history of flight, the more frequent they were crashing due to obvious reasons. It’s the growth pain of a new technology. Same with autonomous driving cars, etc.

Last time I checked, I’m not responsible for guiding humanity into their future. You’d be better off sending that question to the UN.

Meaning: Idk. But chances are high that there are better systems out there than what ppl could come up with 100 years ago.

All i know is, that things pick up fast when the big corporations starting to outcompete each other with AI, forcing whole indistries to jump on the same bandwagon to not get left behind.

This is bigger than the invention of the car, airplane, fire and industrialization together. The very idea of jobs might be in danger in the comming decades, IF we can make it until then without creating a god or a WMD that works autonomously and can create other WMD like itself.

1 Like

No, it’s not. If that were true, my AI stocks would be skyrocketing.

These days, they’re mostly responsible for spending US money while covering for Russia and China

1 Like

Is super expensive to run, gtp-4 was downgrade to save cost. It’s used to be better.

There are not making money yet.

1 Like

You sure sound like an expert on the subject of AI.
AI is currently in testing phase, not in action phase.
ChatGPT is a beta. Future AIs are supposed to have intrinsic motivation and act independently from human input.
ChatGPT currently is testing the safety of LLMs and not fully deployed in the way it is supposed to be in the future.