Air conditioner stinks when cooling is on

Hi Guys,

I am recently facing some problem with the Air Conditioner in my master bedroom. Whenever it starts cooling, there is a weird smell that’s blowing out of Aircon and it stinks very badly.

I checked with landlord and he mentioned, the A/C was serviced 2 months ago.

Did anyone face the similar problem.

Can anyone suggest what can be done?

what kind of AC is it? Split system or all-in-one box?

and just because it was ‘serviced’ does not mean that it was properly cleaned at that time.

2 Likes

Hi Urodacus,

It’s a split system one. I will inform the service guy once to check thoroughly.

Meanwhile, is there any chance that the problem is caused due to moisture in the room. I live in high floor and the bedroom walls are exposed openly, as there are no building adjacent to the building.

The A/C has both cooling and heating system. It’s Sanyo Split A/C.

Same goes for our split type. It has a burning smell, I’m not sure if that’s the smell you get as well. I simply called the maintenance and had it checked. I think they added freon (not sure of the spelling) to it, then all is well.

get on a step ladder or chair, and check out your machine. There is normally a front cover or grill that you can lift up or hinge open or pop off.

look for mold and mildew inside the box and in the filter sheet. sniff and poke around with a rag. you may want to wear some disposable gloves if you’re sensitive. Turn the machine ON while still looking inside with the cover off (*mind your fingers) and see what happens. often the roller fan at the back is totally covered in black junk, and you need to steam clean it (or get a pro to do that). generally not the landlords responsibility, its just normal cleaning.

1 Like

How long have you lived there? Possible the previous tenant was a smoker?

thank you for your suggestion. I will check with the servicing guy

got you. I will try that

Moved in 3 weeks ago. Not sure who was living previously.

2 months ago?

• It’s not normal to get air conditioner serviced in January… mid-winter when not needed. Usually serviced before summer or during summer. Red flag, possible bullshit.
  • What is the weird smell? It could be inside the aircon, or it could be some mold or something else, or coming from somewhere else. Are there any cabinets or some space with water? Maybe they had some problems before you arrived and didn’t fix it?

If it’s mold is spraying bleach inside the AC going to kill it?

Or what if you let the AC run and run and hopefully the smell goes away… maybe spray it with something oxidizing (like bleach) to encourage it.

But also, is the smell organic in nature? as in does it smell like freon may be leaking (it has a sweet smell). If so, either they have to plug the leak or the inside unit has to be replaced.

If there is more than one indoor unit, is the smell form just one, or others too? Assuming just one, turn it on at full blast and go out for a few hours (leave a door or window open so that you don’t roast or freeze when you return), and see how that goes, might give it time to ‘clean its tubes’ out. Repeat again for each unit.

1 Like

Hi Tango,

sure. will check on it. I switched on the Aircon after 4 days and now I don’t smell anything. The air clean. Not sure what’s happening.

Last night, I switched on heating in the aircon for few hours and later switch on cooling. I don’t smell anything now.

I will ask the aircon service to check once again on it.