Air Conditioning in Every Taiwan School by mid-2022

We had to do it in high school lol.

1 Like

I meant the kids adapt well to going from AC to outside in open air schools. Obviously much drier in California, but it is often in the 90s early in the school year.

1 Like

We have to pay extra at my son’s school to cover the cost of air con. I think it’s around NT$200 a month but I’m not sure.

I don’t know what happens if someone refuses to pay for it.

1 Like

That sucks. It was funny though because all the kids chipped in cash to buy a card. Meanwhile I was sweating balls the instant i stepped in the class. If they didn’t buy the card I would have personally.

What if all the students don’t pay for the a/c card? Perhaps each individual student can incorporate this into his/her school uniform…

1 Like

I’ve seen people waling around with similar personal fans already.

Love it. Putting on an extra bespoke shirt to carry the unit, with a lithium battery attached to your neck which presumably could spontaneously catch fire. Pure marketing genius.

You could invent a solar panel hat to power it.

2 Likes

Good for humans but bad for the planet!

1 Like

That happens in Taipei as well.

The numbers on this program are huge - they must be purchasing the best a/c units that money can buy.

2 Likes

You (most people) could actually get sick when AC temperature offset more than 5-10 degrees compare to the ambient outside temperature.
Ideally if outside temperature is 38, the lowest you should go is 28.

Citation? I looked for a few minutes and couldn’t find anything. This is new to me as a potential source of illness.

1 Like

Cheap Taiwanese knock-off. Taiwanese companies make (assemble) famous brands and than make a knock-off at half of the price.

Sick ? What kind of sick?

1 Like

The entire “I’m sick because the weather changed 5 degrees” makes sense until you think about it.

Of course, I don’t believe that people get sick from drinking cold water either.

1 Like

An editorial on this topic appeared today in the Taipei Times. It argues that buying and installing all these machines that pump out hot air (and of course burn through electricity) could and should be supplemented with other changes in how we construct school buildings and the environment around them. It’s a good read!

Guy

1 Like

The kids needed access to air-conditioning years ago. Need to allow equal access for all now.

1 Like

Central ac and redesigning building is even more work. It means tear down and rebuild the school. Instead of the guys coming in during class to install AC it’s close school for a year while they rebuild.

I think they could possibly add vents and install central AC floor by floor, using those big floor standing units with ducts that can cool about 10 rooms at a time. It could be done by knocking a few holes in the wall for ducting (or not, route ducts from the outside and through windows).

But if they are getting a bunch of units they probably get a hefty discount on it.

Besides you lose some efficiency by using ducts