Air pollution levels in Taiwan - grim reading

See? The bad air’s gone.

I still can’t see anything.

1 Like

Get a pair of glasses then.

1 Like

Here’s more developing science on how air pollution, even at low levels, affects people more than we realize. Short version: some schools installed air filters, prompted by a gas leak that didn’t actually affect them - and yet test scores went up for the students. Small sample size, of course, but installing the air filters was about as effective as “some of the most optimistic studies on the potential benefits of smaller class sizes”, and a heck of a lot cheaper. These filters were in an area that already had relatively low air pollution levels.

I’m curious how science is going to develop on indoor vs outdoor air pollution, and if we need to worry about different chemicals in different places: how much are different impacts based on the size of the things we’re inhaling, versus what it actually is that we’re inhaling?

It’s very interesting but unless it’s a big study and repeatable not scientifically relevant

Well, more research is needed, as is often the case. But isn’t that how science works? Get an interesting finding, investigate, see if the finding holds up, and build on it. As the article says:

And while it’s too hasty to draw sweeping conclusions on the basis of one study, it would be incredibly cheap to have a few cities experiment with installing air filters in some of their schools to get more data and draw clearer conclusions about exactly how much of a difference this makes.

Basically one study just isn’t relevant. I have to look through clinical research for my job and if I’ve learned anything from it it’s that

1 Like

To give a great example, just do a search for Vitamin D and the disease of your choice.
There are literally thousands of papers that have been published relating vitamin D to every disease under the sun.
The largest clinical studies and metastudies finally concluded recently that there is NO evidence for Vitamin D deficiency causing any diseases except for a couple of the well known ones such as osteoporosis.

Thousands of papers have been published and why they got away with it is simply the confusion of correlation and causation and these kind of studies are very easy to do. Draw some blood, correlate with patient set of choice , boom, publish paper.

Any follow up…No other was never any follow up papers cos there’s no real correlation there in the first place.

1 Like

idk if it was the glasses or the wind, but it worked, I can see…

Dangit

Air in Taipei is so bad, I don’t know if my coughing/ sneezing/ scratchy eyes is because of the pollution or the Wuhan virus :sweat_smile:
It gets better with the air purifier on, so my bets are… pollution. Hurray for ramping up factory production to offset the economic losses suffered over the holidays :roll_eyes:

Chinese New Year Eve in Taiwan. Could be worse.

1 Like

You might be allergic to mould too, get yourself a dehumidifier if you don’t have one.

We have one! Our landlord’s solution to the mold was to carve it out, refill the wall, and cover it with waterproof sealant. Not addressing the actual leaking pipes that caused the problem… ha… it does seem to be under control though!
I’ll just keep the air purifiers running 24/7.

Did you see Kaohsiung the other day was purple, 198?? Gross. Sorry, southwestern Taiwan. Be well.

Great. There’s a lot of folks burning ghost money on the streets today, my eyes are itchy also.

…because we all know that our ancestors would LOVE to have their descendants and others choking on toxic particles and polluted air.

/snark off

Guy

3 Likes

What app do you use?