Air pollution levels in Taiwan - grim reading

A while ago this pollution drove me to write a bot that blasts our family Line group with warnings.

Sometimes it is easy to oversee how bad it currently is.

1 Like

It’s preeeetty bad out there.

Head to higher grounds if you can!

It will get back to normal on Wednesday.

Currently 151 in Danshui. Around lunchtime the sun moves off my computer room window, and I usually open the curtains. And today I immediately closed them again. Ugh. One of those times when daylight is kind of depressing.

Ugh, I can feel it in my lungs, but there’s no way I’m closing the windows.

1 Like

No that’s London style mist outside. Breath that fresh air.:sunglasses:

Air pollution of this scale is a rare occurrence these days, which is already a marked improvement from years ago. Have you not noticed the inactivity of this topic this winter?

I have noticed constant air pollution updates :sunglasses:.

I don’t know where you reside, but Taichung certainly isn’t improved from years ago. This winter has been pretty good, but the past few years certainly feel a lot worse than my first 10 years here.

1 Like

You are totally wrong. It used to be much worse in Taichung and the past couple of years have been much better.

Love the use of data and reference points here. :joy:

Okay. Sure. You’re right. I breathe so much better now and I don’t have days where I go outside and gaze out 15 meters into the dense “fog.”

My experience doesn’t jive with what you’re saying. I’ve been in Taiwan nearly 18 years, most of that time in Taichung, and it has only been the past 5 years or so that I have really started to notice the air getting really bad and having days where I can barely breathe due to the air visible pollution.

2 Likes

I went to high school in Taichung and back then the table would have a layer of dust after PE class because of the pollution. Nowadays it’s mostly blue skies (except for the past couple of days).

The statistics also support me, which I’ve posted a billion times.

Not like Taipei is much better today, it looks like there’s a layer of fog.

1 Like

Just wait till tmr and it’d be fine.

Wind isn’t supposed to pick up until Thursday though…right?

I think is the only time I will ever wish for rain.

Maybe, but if the wind starts coming from Taichung it will be even worse for the rest of the island.

That kind of wind direction would be quite odd this time of year though.

No tmr.

I want to know who’s lying