Air pollution levels in Taiwan - grim reading

The answer is simple.
Build 20 Gen IV nuclear plants for electricity and use SMRs as needed for industrial needs. Phase out petrol for autos like they are doing for scooters already. Start a big efficiency push based on California’s model.

Then we only need to worry about the air pollution coming from China.

Ironically, China has long been ahead of Taiwan in curbing environment traffic pollution. I remember being in Hangzhou 2008 (2-stroke scooters already banned) and a Sichuan National Park 2010 (fleet of electric buses for tourists).

There’s so little sensible forward thinking here with regard to transport alternatives. Hualien could, should, have an amazing network of cycle paths right now - ringing the city and penetrating arterially. Instead, nada (or bike lanes of low quality that lead nowhere useful, or end abruptly), and we have to make do with debacles like the o-bike.

4 Likes

You guys need younger fresher thinkers running the county. For one positive example, have a look at what’s going on in Hsinchu City.

Right now—and for as long as I’ve been living in Taiwan—you guys have been more like a feudal estate run by a lord and his immediately family. I doubt this lord rides a bicycle! :rofl:

Guy

I went to taidong a few years ago for a visit and there were tons of infrastructure for bike lanes put in that must have cost a fortune all rotting away and overgrown. They put in pathways and car parking lots to the parks, but nobody ever used it. Now it’s unusable. It was somewhat sad seeing that

1 Like

Lmao who’s gonna use them?

Why lmao? That’s ridiculous. Why can’t we try to emulate the Netherlands, for example? If you build traffic-free, shaded bike lanes into the city, I think they’d begin to be used. With my thinking cap on, you could add solar-panelled rain-cover on the main artery routes.

But as dan rightly says above, there is just this disconnect between pouring money into schemes, and then pro-actively managing them through future years.

1 Like

Construction money, one presumes, goes to their buddies.

Maintenance? I guess this is less profitable and actually requires some diligence.

Guy

After all these cynical comments, I should add that the Yuli - Fuli Bikeway is lovely—a brilliant addition to one of the loveliest parts of Taiwan. So it definitely can be done.

Guy

1 Like

Air pollution is really bad today in the south.

That’s a heck of a comment to just simply throw out. I hope everything is okay.

Maybe reconsider moving to the east coast like Hualien or some small mountain town.

1 Like

Was very bad in North yesterday also.

Well there you go.

2 Likes

Yesterday was another of those days with a significant shift. Gorgeous when I left for a bike ride into Taipei around 11am; coming back to Danshui, around 2pm, the wind had shifted and haze had come in. Based on my AQI app, the AQI jumped from 37 up to the 60s and 70s. Which still isn’t that bad, but it’s not good, and it sure looked different.

I’m always curious what’s going on with those clouds of haze that, from my perspective in Danshui, are coming in from the sea and up the river. Is it south Taiwan haze looping around? Or over from China?

My nose is stuffy today but it’s definitely not the pollution in Taipei.

Lol no it wasn’t. It was only bad in the south.

It was bad , hazy as hell.

Don’t be ridiculous. I could see outside the window during the entire day. The air was completely clear.

In Kaohsiung it’s still bad today as there’s no wind. Hopefully it will improve this afternoon.

You can see everywhere in North Taiwan from your window. Congratulations.

Where was it hazy?