Air Raid Alert - Rocket Flyover - Not a Drill

I asked my building guard because I’ve never received a non-drill warning like this. He was very nonchalant and reassured me with 沒事沒事, so it’s back to watching YouTube I guess.

3 Likes

Bring it.

10 Likes

Oh, come on, they’re not going to fire the General’s cousin’s brother-in-law.

6 Likes

That’s the first thing I noticed. Kind of a key difference. I assume the Chinese is more accurate than the English.

1 Like

Mhh, the article says that this one was already launched on Jan 5, 2024.

Satellite. Not missile.

Poor translation.

2 Likes

I was waiting outside kids’ school to pick them up when we got the alert. All the music and playing stopped immediately and the kids went inside. Most orderly I’ve ever seen these kids!

4 Likes

I don’t think I have that many normal clothes.

7 Likes

Too late. I already took the qualudes I had stockpiled along with five tabs of acid.

12 Likes

It really is impressive just how bad the Taiwan government is at hiring translators for critical roles where getting the translation right is of huge importance, yet they still completely mess it up.

7 Likes

Damn…Taoyuan airport is crammed with all the dual Nationals & NWOHRs & some really scared adogahs right now ready to take the next flight out :rofl:

7 Likes

I noticed that too, but it seems like there was a second one just now, subsequently confirmed by China.

https://twitter.com/StuartKLau/status/1744621700841705975

https://twitter.com/alexsjoeberg/status/1744620768129175577

1 Like

I guess the 3.5% of expats and subset of those who cant understand chinese arent the priority of government when actual strike happens.

Same. Still got my shoes on in my house (usual no-no from wife) and my bag by my side in case another message comes through saying the English version was right. oops it’s a missile.

I got four alerts at 15:18, 15:19, 15:21 and 15:22. The message said the satellite launched at 15:04, and already flew past southern Taiwan… If it were a missile, it would have been too late… Also, no air raid sirens from outdoor speakers, just the presidential alerts on the phone, which makes it feel like it’s an election ploy to me…

9 Likes

I mean it’s not hard to prepare that stuff in advance, they’ve had 70 years.

3 Likes

Why do we need to be warned about a satellite? In case one falls out of the sky? How likely is that? Is there an alert for meteors and planes?

5 Likes

I don’t think they had enough time to know if it was a satellite or not.

A rocket coming from an enemy territory flying over your airspace and you have ten seconds to decide.

1 Like

Space rocket :rocket:

1 Like

haha i said this to my coworkers. First air raid notification! Can you tell there’s an election coming up?

:smiley:

2 Likes