✈ Airlines - All Nippon Airways (ANA)

Among the Japanese carriers, ANA has been the fastest to try to ramp up service again following the COVID restrictions. Starting in January 2023, they are again flying twice a day from Songshan to Haneda, among other routes. If forumosans are interested, here are the some of the deals available now:

Enjoy!

Guy

4 Likes

Finally! TSA-HND is imo the best flight ever, so convenient. Can go to airport by the (terrible) Wenhu line and can get to downtown Tokyo in a more reasonable time (although the skyliner of keisei really changed the game, 45 mins NRT to Ueno is marvellous, and cheaper than NEX!)

2 Likes

What’s terrible about the Wenhu Line?

It’s so damn small… No space for baggage even if it is technically an airport mrt line, I hate the stations since they are old and elevated most of them, so no ac (and in summer is quite… Unpleasant).

And it is slow. Most lines here are quite slow imo, much slower than HK MTR or many JP underground lines.

This line was not actually designed to be an airport connector. When the extension into Neihu was being planned, it was supposed to cut straight north and not stop at Songshan Airport—then none other than Ma Ying-jeou stepped in to damand a change! Up until then, Songshan was something of a quiet backwater airport, with the international action (and most freight) shifted over to TPE, and domestic flights on the west coast in unstoppable decline with the rise of the HSR system. Yet with the approval of cross-straight flights, Songshan would again gain prominence . . .

The cross-straight flight part has stalled, as we know, but the connections with and revival of other “small” airports in the region (including Seoul Gimpo and Tokyo Haneda) have made Songshan a valuable part of our transport infrastructure. I am no fan of Ma, but I think he was right to demand this change.

Guy

1 Like

Well, you know the history sknce you saw it, I’m much younger so I miss this part.

However, I do remember there were at some point some special carriages with luggage compartments, very small, but still useful to take out of the way the stuff. An overhaul of the line is needed, especially for the elevated stations, some air-conditioning is needed, too bloody hot

The Brown Line has faced many controversies over the years, but from a user’s perspective perhaps the most annoying (if not life-threatening!) one was the atrocious design—with the ridiculous big blue seats—of the carriages on the Bombardier cars added when the line extended into Neihu. I get it that Taipei’s MRT had cut ties with MATRA in France (responsible for the initial generation cars, which were and are much more sensibly laid out)—but come on! I have yet to read any account of who was responsibility for this astonishing blockheaded stupidity.

On the bright side: they don’t seem to catch on fire anymore, so there is that. :upside_down_face:

Guy

2 Likes

Careful about these cheap fares as stopovers can be involved - to get to Fukuoka for instance, you fly to Haneda and presumably do the Immigration and Customs thing there and then change terminals for the other leg.

1 Like

I will trade the heat for this, in less than 24 hours from nice warm Southern Taiwan to here

with stop in Japan Airlines Lounge, after China Air flight from Taoyuan. I do not fly CAL(Air China) or JAL a lot, but seems they are much better.

By “much better” do you mean “much better food than served by ANA”?

Or do you mean that ANA serves better food than what you received this time from CAL/JAL/Finn Air?

Guy

JALs seats in econ seats are bigger on longer flights, example 787 on JAL has 8 seats in a row, ANA has 9, so 10% less space. Japanese Airlines have better food than Finn Air, from Japan (FUK, Sapporo or Tokyo to EU). Last night the second snack was box of rice and what seemed like Soy Sauce, awful. It came with Lawson like rice ball. Also I use Fin Air (I think they serve five JP’s airports) since they fly to Fukuoka and Sapporo vs. JAL which flies from two airports to Helsinki. Also Finn air seats are nice, as membership gets bigger seat even on low ball fares.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

I agree that JAL offers a nice space and nice service. Right now however with their limited flights to Taiwan, it’s very difficult to use them. I tried twice! I hope they expand their schedule.

Guy

1 Like

haha, I thought ANA had less flights they only fly to Taipei, Japan Air flies to Southern Taiwan.

For connecting flights, ANA now actually works.

I couldn’t come up with any workable connections with JAL to go to SFO. It’s too bad as I very much like flying with them,

Guy

In general, hard product on JL better, soft product NH better. This is my take.

Quite liked my flight on Finnair on their a350 in economy comfort (they don’t really have premium economy, u buy econ and then as add on u select these seats with extra legroom, the service is the same, u get an extra bottle of water and a small amenity kit). Food was ok-ish and HEL is a lovely small airport (just bloody expensive to eat)

1 Like

Just an FYI these $4500 fares are actually almost $14k with taxes included. And only valid for flights on the A320 which only has 30in of legroom.

JL is currently flying much more comfortable 789s on that route and I was able to select a premium economy seat on a coach ticket.

2 Likes

Well, there must have been a catch, NH is awfully expensive. Not that JL is cheap either.