I think we’re still missing an airline thread about Emirates although they have been offering daily flights to/from TPE for quite some time… ![]()
Anyway, the reason for starting this thread:
Emirates recently announced that they’ll finally be flying an A350 (along their A380) to TPE. At least they seem to be handing existing bookings rather well by proactively offering refunds:
While I personally do like the A380, the planes they’re sending to TPE are rather dated already - and they lack a Premium Economy cabin. The A350 would bridge that gap (by offering a modernized interior and Premium Economy) until all of their A380s have undergone refurbishment.
However, they have since changed plans and cancelled the A350 service again:
Very much likely that the initial demand wasn’t what they expected - especially with the war in the Middle East flaming up again…
Love the A350, but the A380 is just so comfy and quiet. Too bad for it…
As a passenger, flying an A380 is always a great experience IMO.
But I can understand that it can be a nightmare for airlines if they struggle to fill it…
At last Emirates seems to be planning to keep some of their A380s around for quite some time as they’ve started refurbishing them.
Quick update on that: I’ve just finished a chat with them to cancel my flight (besides the downgrade from Premium Economy to Economy they also extended my layover time in Dubai to >20h…).
Long story short: For some reason, they now upgraded me to Business Class on both TPE->DXB and DXB->TPE
![]()
And I was able to add a free hotel stay through their Dubai Connect program because of this.
Still a bit sceptical if they’ll change my booking again (still almost 3 months till my flight; I’ve never heard about airlines giving out operational upgrades that early, so it could all be some kind of mistake…?) - but so far that doesn’t sound too bad…
The stopover free hotel night in Dubai is great tbh, since 1 night in Dubai is more than enough for that fake city to tour. Last time they put my wife and I at the JW Marriot.
They actually have two different programs: One where you intentionally add a stopover and you still need to pay a small fee (Dubai Stopover) - and one for those who unintentionally have an airport connection of >8h called Dubai Connect (like in my case).
From my understanding, the latter one will have simpler hotels - especially if one is traveling in Economy / Premium Economy cabin. And usually, it won’t be available if one is traveling between Taipei and Europe because most connection times will be less than 8h (and from my understanding, no free Dubai Connect if one voluntarily chooses a longer connection).
The only time we had that was right after Covid restrictions eased in, but still so few flights available. Had a 20 hrs connection in Dubai, they put us there at the JW (I was in economy, my wife was in biz as travelling for work, I just stayed in her room haha).

