✈ Airlines - EVA Air | Website does not accept longer names

I would say try turning it off and on again and clear cache

Hey! I used to be a travel agent and there is a character limit on names. The length depends on which distribution system they use (amadeus is the most popular).

Step 1 is remove any spaces from the names (if there are any)

Step 2 Remove the salutation (mr/miss etc). This might require a travel agent or airline direct booking.

Step 3 remove middle names IF the airlines permits this. They all used to permit booking without middle names but most require middle names now.

Step 4 Airlines will have a set way to abbreviate your name but every airline is different. Book the ticket using their method of abbreviation.
Then your travel agent or airline customer service will add your full name as either an OSI ( i forget what it stands for but it’s like information given to an airline) or SSR (special service request). This would require either a good travel agent or an over the phone booking with an airline.

3 Likes

This might actually be the issue. Will try, thanks!

I assumed my first+middle+hyphenated last name would compete, but I just counted and it’s “only” a total of 29 letters (coincidentally the same as @frank_hnd).

I bow to you, Marco Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch :man_bowing:t3:

1 Like

Would probably take some screenshots as well, so at least you have some proof.

Then potentially be denied boarding when the names don’t line up?

:thinking:

Guy

1 Like

The best I can say about EVA is that they do not crash.

Very much looking forward to giving these people a try:

Guy

…Please! We have rules on the forum against outing people for a reason :howyoudoin:

3 Likes

There should be a romanization of your Chinese name on the passport. That will work for travel.

No, because I am a naturalized citizen, my English name is the same as the one from my country of birth.

= they won. They probably have this in their training. as marco says, make it difficult. taiwan is the land of possible to change, but it has to be forced. I suggest recording everything, even make a video of you filling in the form. take video to the airport and get their staff to register you on your computer/phone. worst case they fuck your flight, then you argue for vouchers and free flights for the massive inconvenience they have forced you to be in. Dont let them keep taking a mile…

or just go to a travel agent :upside_down_face:

1 Like

From the employee’s point of view, there are two people they have to deal with.

The boss.

or

The customer.

And the boss is always a bad option.

@frank_hnd Do you want to use your miles to upgrade or to pay for the ticket?

I have some friends that are still working at my old travel agency that will be able to help. You will be able to use the miles to upgrade but you will still need to pay upfront for the ticket.

You would also be charged in AUD and it definitely won’t be the cheapest option (fares don’t price well outside the country of origin) but I know they will be able to get it done for you…

They work in corporate though and avoid personal bookings because personal bookings are time consuming but let me know if you want me to ask :slight_smile:

I can’t believe that that is the airline’s policy or way of doing things. Customer service is hugely important, especially in that uber competitive industry where every passenger should count. EVA is a big international airline with potentially millions of customers withl-longer-than usual names. They better fix that problem or get their act together overall.

1 Like

This whole charade smells like the Taiwan travel agent mafia, their fingerprints are everywhere on this one.

It is not unique to Eva. Every airline has a character limit for names. It’s more to do with their technology partners than airlines. Most of these systems haven’t had a major upgrade in decades.
But also every airline has a policy to deal with longer than usual names. The problem is whoever he spoke to couldn’t be bothered to figure it out. The most popular worldwide is Amadeus but SABRE is popular too, some airlines us their own systems. Eva used amadeus when I was in travel but could have changed now.

They like to pass these issues on to travel agents because they charge travel agents ‘Agency Debit Memos’ for obscure errors that don’t make any difference to the passenger. They’re palming you off to an agent in the hope the agent makes a small error dealing with the long name and then they can make extra money off the agent. This is also why a travel agent might be hesitant to help. They might get between $0-$100 in commission but then get a $200 fine for a nonsensical error.

I once received a $150AUD debit memo from Emirates for reselling a flight instead of deleting it, saving, selling. Doesn’t that sound like the same thing? :joy:

I also received $50 memo from Qantas once for claiming commission… when I was entitled to commission. They wouldn’t waive the memo :joy:

Airlines are ruthless

2 Likes

Should be possible to get your romanized Chinese name in the Also known as section of your passport.

So this is not a Taiwan thing then?

How many times do their systems get a major downgrade? Ok airlines all have a character limit for names, but why did EVA Air reduce theirs for their website. And why is the character limit on the website different to their internal systems?

I used to work in the travel industry, and unfortunately I can confirm that there is nothing they can do about this issue short of convincing their CEO to switch the entire company over to a different GDS (global distribution system). (And no, they’re not going to do that for you.)

Each GDS has their own character limit, and if your name doesn’t fit, you’ll need a human to abbreviate it and then manually make a note of your actual name in the GDS. This is why they asked you to book via a travel agent or on the phone.

If you were able to book before with no issues, it’s possible that the GDS they use rolled out a recent update worldwide which affected all airlines that use it. They either determined that the old character limit was too long for whatever reason, or someone just messed up.

1 Like