✈ Airlines | StarLux

Of potential interest to forumosans: StarLux had its first flight to Singapore today. Hope to use it some time if these guys can survive!

Guy

3 Likes

Maiden flight… buh…

Starlux could launch an Iron Maiden flight with the band piloting the plane with no restrictions to go anywhere then maybe I would be interested in their particular services.

Iron_Maiden_-_Senjutsu

No idea why this suddenly popped into my mind but they do have a new album out.

2 Likes

Somehow I don’t think that’s exactly what Starlux is trying to deliver. But thanks anyways for the imaginative scenario! :rofl:

Guy

I wonder will they add Japan flights with easing of business travel rules to Japan?

1 Like

I wonder if there would be enough cargo orders to make this profitable?

Dear god I would love to travel to Japan now. But if it’s business travel only, this will—like many things during the pandemic—need to wait.

Guy

2 Likes

Well maybe enough travellers, we will see on Monday how many people apply to travel (but need two shots)

I’ll post a story on that in the COVID travel thread. Thanks for staying on top of these details!

Guy

How can they have these members? They just started flying.

They’ve apparently been offering matching status to status fliers of other airlines.

I just learned they had a campaign for Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club members. To my regret, I missed the deadline.

Guy

This isn’t Starlux, but Amazeballs.

No one flies anymore, yet they generate huge profits through cargo.

1 Like

Fukuoka from 17 February - but just once a week at this stage as no Tourists allowed yet.

So out of interest I go and check, Depart 2/17, Return 2/24 - Cost is … TWD22,088 - yes, you can fly to Europe for about that - even in normal times a flight to Fukuoka is about TWD10,000 return - a bit less on Tiger, but then it evens out when you add baggage charges.

Mind you, I will give them a try at some stage, but not at DOUBLE the price!!!

Too bad there’s not much to see or do in Fukuoka, but it’s a start.

Good food, with basic Japanese shopping too.

Hell if I was allowed to enter, I’d go there. :grin:

Guy

1 Like

There are three profitable airlines in the world during the pandemic: CAL, Eva, and Korean.

That’s because semiconductors go on planes, not ships.

7 Likes

Alas StarLux is not among them:

Guy

3 Likes

I’m intrigued by Starlux because of the flight to Miami. Hope that happens and the price is competitive

1 Like

The American airlines have swung back to profitability.

No Asian airline, as far as I know, has successfully made that route work, ever. It’s hard to see how Taiwan’s third airline would break the pattern here. :neutral_face:

Guy

Right, there are no nonstop flights to Asia from Miami, Asian airline or not.

I’m not terribly optimistic but we’ll see!

So far, it seems the Miami airport authorities keep inviting airlines (Japan Airlines is another) to try to incentivize them to open this route—and so far, each airline has looked at the incentives and calculated the outcomes and said: no thank you, at least for now.

We shall see . . .

Guy