Airplane food (on the ground!)

After three or four different “business” lunches at the Front Page Bar at the Intercontinental Hotel, I have to give it four thumbs down. This is the worst lunch in town. I used to think that the Grand Hotel’s pathetic facility at the airport would never be surpassed for offensively mediocre meals, but hey live to fight a new day.

Today, I thought I would have the hamburger instead, which for NT$385 was essentially a meatloaf burger. IF there was any hamburger in this, the soybeans must have been at least half if not 75 percent. Do not order well done or you will only have dried beans left. The french fries that came with it were okay and the caesar was unpleasantly oily (the dressing had a runny greasy texture akin to leaving mayonnaise out in 95 degree heat for two hours.

My colleague had the chicken special and could not even take more than three bites, the chicken was a bit undercooked and all gristle and skin. If there was any meat in there, it could be finished in three or four bites. The soups are cream based and unexceptional. I think that the foreign management has left and so the Intercontinental is rapidly becoming another Grand and Howard Plaza. (Now lest I be criticized for this remark, let me point out that the best hotel in Taipei: The Ritz Landis is totally run by Taiwanese so go figure). But there are cutting corners and there are cutting the whole house down. Yuck. Stay away. Overpriced food that tastes worse than some noodle meals I have had from 7-11!

freddy

I once had a Vietnam airlines flight that was 3 hours delayed out of Hanoi. You bet, they served us the inflight meal just the same in the airport. :shock:

Odd. I have never even tried to eat at the places you mentioned because it seemed obvious to me that they would be overpriced (clearly not a problem for you) and the food would be shit (confirmed).

I actually like that place, for an airport it’s not bad. I actually take the airport train over there from the eva terminal to get some american breakfast, at 2:00 pm and it was no problem, good service i thought.

Burger King is the best place to eat at the airport. Airlines should consider sserving Whoppers in flight.

Yuck. I almost ate there the other day. Isn’t it no longer the Intercontinental, though? Could that be why the food quality is down? That hotel seems to be a little all dressed with no place to go, although I do like the way it looks.

How about bring your own cup-of-noddles on the plane…that’s what I do ALL the time!!! Also, munching on chips and chocolate which makes the passengers drooling over my food and asked me for some!!! :wink:

[quote=“fred smith”]After three or four different “business” lunches at the Front Page Bar at the Intercontinental Hotel, I have to give it four thumbs down. This is the worst lunch in town. I used to think that the Grand Hotel’s pathetic facility at the airport would never be surpassed for offensively mediocre meals, but hey live to fight a new day…

freddy[/quote]

and the service is very, very, slow. The Intercontinental pulled out many months ago. Its just the Imperial now. Rumor has it they have been bouncing checks and are in financial dissarray.

I do not eat the set meals there (once bitten twice shy), their club sandwich, however, is very tasty.

having said taht, if it were not for a dear friend who likes the place I’d probably never step foot in there for a meal again.

Chou

I wish Garuda still flew here. Their food on Domestic flights blows anything Taiwanese out of the air…OOPS! Did I really say that? :laughing:

[quote=“chodofu”]and the service is very, very, slow. The Intercontinental pulled out many months ago. Its just the Imperial now. Rumor has it they have been bouncing checks and are in financial dissarray.

Chou[/quote]

Disarray in the boardroom usually leads to disarray on the shop floor. Managemetn gets too distracted on their survival and forgets that their survival is based on serving the customer.

Kenneth