✈ Airports - Body scan in place of boarding cards, how many airports have experienced this

And people think Tor is only for browsing the dark web…

1 Like

I use multiple operating systems. Often on the same computer. Learning about forensic operating systems and how they’re used (mostly in advanced law enforcement but also in some airports) has probably been the most interesting thing I’ve learned. On an operating system set up properly you can take pretty much everyone’s data from any device you plug into it. Easiest solution is to run encryption. Most don’t and never will.

Device exploration is the latest law enforcement tool. Mostly used at international airports. Although they typically require a warrant to be allowed access to your device they will often guilt you into giving them access. And even if you don’t they can still copy your whole device and then forensically examine even if it’s a much slower process.

1 Like

I think also it’s not ok, but its required if I travel. I also do not like body scanners, I wonder do they see though clothing.

2 Likes

How else are they going to see what’s hiding in your prison pouch? :joy:

That’s the point of the body scanners. To see through clothing.

1 Like

Seems quite a few people like in China think its ok, which is sad

2 Likes

People? There are no people left in China. They are all mindless zombies, every last one, who bow to the whims of the CCP because dissent is worse than deadly there.

Worse is the number of people from the free world who happily place “smart speakers” in their homes to record every sound that occurs there and “smart doorbells” that record every human that comes near their home. And the facial recognition to unlock one’s cell phone or computer. No sense.

3 Likes

Do you have any social media?

Unless forumosa counts, no. I used to be on Facebook and IG but about seven years ago I just stopped logging into those and never looked back. As more and more info comes out about the utter horror that will come of our world thanks to facial recognition, im glad I haven’t been posting photos of myself alongside my friends and family and helping the algorithms better recognize my face. I know that’s all still out there, but I take comfort in knowing there are significantly fewer data points related to me.

But you never deleted the accounts and pictures on it?

If you or other people have posted photos and videos of you at any point, the algo has already been trained on you.

The accounts disappeared after a while. I tried to log in with the username and PW stored on my computer but Facebook instead asked if I wanted to create an account. That being said, I know a number of people who completely deleted their accounts, their emails got hacked, and the hackers rebooted their accounts. Even if you “delete this account, which is irreversible”, 100% of that data is on there forever. I just can’t access mine. That info you willingly provided to Facebook is worth too much money for them to let you just take it back. Things I didn’t understand in my youth.

Sure, but it’s still less data than if I stayed on. Facebook knows what I did in college and will sell that info to the highest bidder, but it doesn’t know what I’ve done in the majority of the years since, especially since many of my friends stopped bothering to post pictures with me long ago, given me and my acquaintances aren’t going to be smashing that like button anytime soon

Anti face-recognition make-up and anti image-recognition clothing is already starting to be a thing for a reason!

2 Likes

You may need to go back and read 1984 again. There is a vast vast difference. “Thoughtcrime” is not a reality yet. We are not living in totalitarian states. The government does not control our every move. In 1984 Forumosa would not exist.

1 Like

Well, the interwebs wouldn’t exactly exist, but if we keep the spirit of Orwell’s world and add the technology of our world, Forumosa would be either (1) an outlet for prolefeed with the interactive element tightly controlled or (2) an underground site for Goldstein’s followers (but secretly controlled by the Party). Or (3) pretty much what it is now, but for inner Party members only. :face_with_monocle: :clinking_glasses: :upside_down_face:

I’ll go for option three

I’m not a fan of biometric data being used but it’s kinda too late now. Governments already have ID databases of licenses they can just upload to scanners if they desire. Social media has your data and even if you don’t have an account they will just get it when your friends put you in their picture.
Gogle listens and watches everything on ones phone. Every worldwide spy agency has phone and isp back doors. Those wifi speakers and smart tvs listen in.

90s and 2000s computing was the best; simple and minus all the spyware. These days privacy lost the battle. People are more than happy to give away all their private data to get a .50 cent discount on a shady app.

1 Like

Used the exit gate at Taoyuan, I forgot take off my mask so had use finger prints. So seems masks messing up things.

2 Likes

They seem equally confused when you refuse it. :laughing:

Keep your data stored encrypted elsewhere, your travelling devices should be just terminals to access it.