✈ Airports - Body scan in place of boarding cards, how many airports have experienced this

from the Cathay Pacific topic, I mentioned my flight to Kao City KHH airport was contactless, just they scan you in Hong Kong before your flight to Taiwan no need give any docs or show anything. Some else mentioned on United Air Lines they did the same when after the aircraft gangway or aircraft bay. USA does body scan at the security check, was wondering is that where they get some info? In Europe I did see body scans , so I hope it is not comming there.

I think what’s going on here is the use of facial recognition software.

I have not yet experienced this at any airport, other than when I consented to join Taiwan’s e-gate system.

Guy

Yeah. They used it for my flight back to TW. Scared the shit out of me for the ticket agent to know my name without me presenting my info. Really not looking forward to the future.

3 Likes

For this was at SFO, with ground crew, right? Was it at check in? At the gate?

Guy

Only at boarding. The TSA wouldn’t dare take away their agents’ right to give passengers crap with impunity. And when getting your boarding pass you still need to present your documents. So it’s not so intelligent as to be able to see your face and know exactly who you are, just enough to know who you are among the passengers on that flight.

They know you are on the flight and your seat number via your face, thus they must know exactly who you are, right? They don’t check the boarding pass at all. I presume they check the passport to confirm you actually have valid landing documentation in hand before boarding. They barely looked at ours, just enough to see we had it and it was signed.

I also find it interesting that article notes this system for domestic flights… perhaps it’s a similar but different system or they have since expanded it? Actually, I don’t remember having to use it for any of my domestic flights in SFO.

Actually, I was thinking as I climbed the stairs to my apartment in Taipei that I could arrive home in Taiwan with only my ARC in hand. I needed my passport to check in and go through security, but no one checked when I got on the plane.

Sounds like we had different experiences then. To summarize mine:

1. Normal airport check in & security.
  2. At gate, face scan.
  3. Gate reader shows seat/name
  4. Quick show of passport before being allowed
    to enter jet bridge.

I’ve experienced body scans but that was for explosives. I had to laugh because they day before I’d been using shotguns and before packing found some spent shells in on of the things I was taking with me on the flight.

That was standing in the middle of some chamber with two doors. They did a scan and waited for the results. I’d already told them the history and when it came back with traces of gunpowder they let me through.

As for facial recognition the real time technology has been slowly getting implemented for over 10 years now. Real world tests have been conducted (contactless environment) and the results were 100% accurate in a controlled environment (airport security area).

The technology was developed by a team at University of Queensland and was subsequently bought (or licensed?) by the Chinese government. However it is in use throughout Australian airports to track movement of arrivals and departures.

They seemed to be testing it out at Seattle-Tacoma last August. The EVA flight crew was extremely confused about how to board the passengers.

My face mask is never coming off in a public area ever again.

1 Like

Hong Kong makes liberal use of facial scans.

Freaked me out.

When were you last there? Prepandemic? Post National Security Law? Some time else?

Guy

December

Got it. So by Hong Kong, you mean Hong Kong International Airport, experienced air side I presume. And this is absolutely after the imposition of Beijing’s National Security Law in 2020 (itself deserving its own thread!).

EDITED FOR CLARITY, AS HK IS CURRENTLY MULLING PASSING ITS OWN NATIONAL SECURITY LAW BUT HAS REPORTEDLY PUT IT ON HOLD, PRESUMABLY TO WAIT FOR FURTHER ORDERS FROM BEIJING.

Guy

Yeah. They already knew everything without the ticket at the gate.

1 Like

Makes no difference. The technology uses multipoint distancing to make correct identification. Bridge of the nose, eyes (space between as well as height colour and length), ears. Each person is unique in this sense. They used to triangulate using jawline and mouth but have found it’s not necessary.

Your only means of defense is a big straw hat and those huge Gucci sunglasses along with that face mask. And in strictly controlled environments that isn’t possible.

One of the developers of the real time facial recognition software later said he felt like he’d unleashed Pandora’s box when confronted with how it was being used.

1 Like

The fact that anyone in the world is ok with this really freaks me out.

7 Likes

There are plenty of examples of how cctv has been used in Taiwan to solve relatively victimless crimes (as well as crimes that have victims) while also mysteriously losing all cctv related to some pretty horrendous crimes. It also seems every single camera everywhere always works when a foreigner does something stupid when drunk as well.

Having said that we are definitely in Orwell’s 1984. On steroids. Everything we do now is tracked. Facebook attaches a line of code so it can follow us on our web browsers. Authorities use this as their excuse to go through your phone. And if you refuse they accuse you of trying to hide something ergo you must be guilty.

The only difference between Orwell’s 1984 and todays reality is that most of the mainstream media is owned by a handful of billionaires rather than being a state propaganda machine (except China and Russia really).

3 Likes

They all work if a foreigner does something stupid or commits a crime but they all are out of service if someone stole a foreigners bike or scooter. :smile:

3 Likes