AIT Notary Service

The AIT website says that docs submitted for Notary purposes must be in English. I have a 1-page, 2-sided document from Taiwan’s Labor Board that is obviously in Chinese. I plan to pay a translation service to meet the stipulation AIT has. Can anyone tell me the fees these companies charge for translation service?

You can go to a Taiwanese notary office to have them do the translation (and obviously the notary too, unless you have a reason to do it at AIT). They typically charge around $1000.

Typical cost is ~10c per word. A fresh college grad translating a personal letter for you might only charge 5c, a legal expert translating something to be submitted in a court case might charge >20c per word. @ironlady probably would know an accurate figure for your particular case, (and may be able to do it for you as well).

Thanks HK & bz. I’ll search for a notary in whatever city I’ll be in next week. The local notary can notarize that they’ve performed the translation. AIT needs to notarize that the docs are legit as they’ll be sent to the SS office at the US Embassy in Manila. At $50.oo/doc it’s a pretty good money making gig for AIT I’d imagine.

2 Likes

AIT is the only place on island that can do a US notary, as far as I know.

I’m not sure what a US notary means, but the OP suggested the document was in Chinese so I assumed it was a “Taiwanese notary” they wanted.

It means a notary valid in the US. There’s no such thing as an internationally recognized version as far as I’m aware. Context clues would tell you it’s an American one and not a Taiwanese one based on the fact that he’s referencing AIT right there in the subject line.

For Americans living abroad who need documents for the US notarized and don’t want to wait until our next trip home, we have to use the nearest embassy or consular office, aka AIT in Taiwan. I assume it’s similar for people from other countries, as well.

2 Likes

I think an apostille would also do for most cases, but Taiwan doesn’t participate to the apostille convention, so tough luck

1 Like