AK47 still doing the job after all these years

The AK47 is still a very capable battlefield weapon. I’m not a gun expert but I would guess that this gun really has to go down as the best ever in terms of a successful design. Perhaps resident gun experts would care to give their opinion on this iconic weapon. To think how long ago it was designed and the amount of battlefields it has been used upon and still is being used upon is amazing. Apparently it is giving the US marines a hell of a problem out there in Afghanistan in 2010!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/05/25/army-outgunned-afghanistan/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Flatest+%28Text±+Latest+Headlines%29

Make me feel so warm and cuddly that the sweet and meaningful things of yore can still put a twinkle in your eye.

Knives are still good. Knives can still gut and kill people and cause death and misery! Oh, the joy of organs ripping and blood spurting! Cool! Knives are still doing the job after all these years! HOOOOOAH! :unamused:

I’d use one if the ammo to my AR-15 was out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

You got to love a weapon (AK) that you can bury in the ground for a week and still fire. Good for spray and pray 105-pound 3rd world people living in bad conditions with not a lot of resources. Heavy as fuck, not all that accurate but gets the job done!

Would prefer the M-14 my pap used when he served. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M14_rifle They still make them in Taiwan apparently so if anyone wants to give me an early Christmas present ya know…

Which would come after the M-63 Stoner http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoner_63

my Dreamweaver of weapons if I were a steely-eyed Navy Seal rather than a fat middle-aged dude behind a computer.

Spread the love, Bubba!

Well it wasn’t for him was it. Poor dude.

The AK-47 is very cheap to produce, and is very durable. Great for guerrilla!

You can even use ply wood (and other things of course) to make them!

An outstanding well-designed weapon for use in rough conditions when reliability is favoured over accuracy.

I was discussing firearms the other day when one student made the comment that “the AK-47 is a gun for bad guys”. Which brought forth an ironic chuckle…

So much for wounding vs. killing…

Why not just make an upper receiver assembly chambered in 7.62x39? that way the soldiers can use the same round the enemies are using. I mean the 5.56 is essentially a .22 with a bit more powder behind it. While assassins love .22’s they just don’t have the penetrating ability of larger calibers, not to mention most standard issue rounds will shatter once it passes through things such as wood making it less effective at taking out enemies behind barriers. Or maybe they should go back to the 30-06 M1’s.

Or instead of spending millions of dollars on developing new weapon systems just spend less money to make or buy AK-47’s.

And on the subject of Taiwanese made guns… I just wish they had a clause in the constitution here about letting people own guns… not sure what effect it would have on society.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]An outstanding well-designed weapon for use in rough conditions when reliability is favoured over accuracy.

I was discussing firearms the other day when one student made the comment that the AK-47 is a gun for bad guys. Which brought forth an ironic chuckle…[/quote]

Indeed.
What used to be a readily identifiable Spy vs Spy type symbology for Capitalist/NATO/Democracy (M16/ArmaLite/CAR15) vs Marxist/Iron Curtain (Avtomat Kalashnikova 47) forces around the globe has become decidedly muddied.

Still, it is pretty much the Bad Guys’ long arm of choice, except, I suppose, for the Rooskies, who are Good Guys now, da?

Fantastic concept, though.
Truly the Fender Telecaster of assault weapons.

:popcorn::smiley:

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]An outstanding well-designed weapon for use in rough conditions when reliability is favoured over accuracy.

I was discussing firearms the other day when one student made the comment that the AK-47 is a gun for bad guys. Which brought forth an ironic chuckle…[/quote]

Indeed.
What used to be a readily identifiable Spy vs Spy type symbology for Capitalist/NATO/Democracy (M16/ArmaLite/CAR15) vs Marxist/Iron Curtain (Avtomat Kalashnikova 47) forces around the globe has become decidedly muddied.

Still, it is pretty much the Bad Guys’ long arm of choice, except, I suppose, for the Rooskies, who are Good Guys now, da?

Fantastic concept, though.
Truly the Fender Telecaster of assault weapons.[/quote]

Yup, reminds me of my time in the armed forces.

“If you see anything banana-shaped you fooking shoot the bastard!”

Good thing guns aren’t legal in Taiwan…could you just imagine the buyer frenzy if they were and the xiaojie folks saw those for sale?

“Like. O.M.G. Totally. Me! Have to have one XDXDXD ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^”

blog.riflegear.com/archive/2007/ … e-and.aspx

Half way home and my pager still blowing up
Today I didn’t even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]So much for wounding vs. killing…

Why not just make an upper receiver assembly chambered in 7.62x39? that way the soldiers can use the same round the enemies are using. I mean the 5.56 is essentially a .22 with a bit more powder behind it. While assassins love .22’s they just don’t have the penetrating ability of larger calibers, not to mention most standard issue rounds will shatter once it passes through things such as wood making it less effective at taking out enemies behind barriers. Or maybe they should go back to the 30-06 M1’s.

Or instead of spending millions of dollars on developing new weapon systems just spend less money to make or buy AK-47’s.

And on the subject of Taiwanese made guns… I just wish they had a clause in the constitution here about letting people own guns… not sure what effect it would have on society.[/quote]

Light 5.56 means you can carry more ammo and shoot it from a further distance a plus when in combat.

You don’t want to use the same ammo the enemy is using because essentially you would be resupplying them. Biggest supplier of weapons to the Viet Cong during the Vietnam War–the United States of America with their willing distributors the ARVN.

The US does use AK-47’s in small teams in the special forces.

Taiwan doesn’t need to let civilians to own guns-they can’t even operate vehicles properly. Guns do not belong in a culture of Ch Bu Duoism. Get them to paint their houses, stop crashing airplanes, falling asleep while operating expensive machinery (HSR) and driving with their feet out the window.

They would just buy the weapons but no ammo -like their military does.

Even the people in this society who carry guns and have been instructed in their use don’t know how to use them.

Ever been to Cambodia? Which I might add is stinking with AK’s-that would be Taiwan.

They are doing fine killing each other with watermelon Knives and charcoal burning.

Mucho agree w/B2G.

Lifelong NRA member and I’ll be the first to say no to private firearms ownership by the general public here on Taiwan.

(Now as far as I’m concerned…yeah…it would be OK for me to have one…or two…or seven…yeah…that’d be OK…:sunglasses:)

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Mucho agree w/B2G.

Lifelong NRA member and I’ll be the first to say no to private firearms ownership by the general public here on Taiwan.

(Now as far as I’m concerned…yeah…it would be OK for me to have one…or two…or seven…yeah…that’d be OK…:sunglasses:)[/quote]

TC I’ve always said my stance on gun ownership is that no one should be allowed to own one…except for me.

I think I’d mostly shoot while driving my scooter. Would mostly shoot other scooter drivers, and of course taxi drivers. I guess I’d have to shoot the occasional pedestrian too. Oh, and the cops too, I wouldn’t want to get caught. Shit, that’s a lot of people :whistle:

I guess I’ll go back to playing GTA for now… :smiley:

LOL…yeah. In most parts of the world its a personal choice. I like this idea for those who would ban all personal gun ownership:

Jess being neighborly and all…heh heh heh.

For taking apart and putting back together, as well as bashing stuff, I far prefer them as well. As for carrying around and actually shooting, the M-16 is far better. I’ve never used an AK47, though, so I can’t say much about it.