al-Qaeda declare war on oil

[quote=“hexuan”]If everyone used diesel cars running on vegetable oil they could laugh with impunity at all this nonsense in the Middle East.
[/quote]

There is a guy in Hong Kong currently proposing that cooking oil waste in HK be burned in engines rather than diesel. He figures HK could thus solve two pollution problems (no more cooking oil waste to deal with and no more diesel fumes).

Unfortuneately, it apparently isn’t as simple as collecting all the cooking oil and pouring it in the tanks… There is some chemical conversion that needs to occur in the oil before it can be used in engines.

I think the guy is presently seeking large petroleum companies and other financial backers to try to find a way.

1. Isn’t the high gas prices in Europe due more to taxes? Someone please educate me.

2. I don’t buy the logic a lot of libs use that says: Becuase Europeans pay a lot, why don’t we pay a lot? America is a fundamentally different culture/economy that uses lower gas prices, with (relatively) lower gas prices, as a fundamental componet.

Key, you know, vote for Kerry. He supports a 50 cent national tax increase on gas. With a plan like that, we’ll be like France in no time!

[quote=“tigerman”][quote=“hexuan”]If everyone used diesel cars running on vegetable oil they could laugh with impunity at all this nonsense in the Middle East.
[/quote]

There is a guy in Hong Kong currently proposing that cooking oil waste in HK be burned in engines rather than diesel. He figures HK could thus solve two pollution problems (no more cooking oil waste to deal with and no more diesel fumes).

Unfortuneately, it apparently isn’t as simple as collecting all the cooking oil and pouring it in the tanks… There is some chemical conversion that needs to occur in the oil before it can be used in engines.

I think the guy is presently seeking large petroleum companies and other financial backers to try to find a way.[/quote]

It is as simple as pouring the cooking oil into the fuel tank of your car for I have done it myself with my own car.

[quote=“pinesay”]1. Isn’t the high gas prices in Europe due more to taxes? Someone please educate me.

1. I don’t buy the logic a lot of libs use that says: Becuase Europeans pay a lot, why don’t we pay a lot? America is a fundamentally different culture/economy that uses lower gas prices, with (relatively) lower gas prices, as a fundamental componet.[/quote]

Well, of course it ain’t all the libs’ fault. As we all know, under Bush the US is filled with conservatives of kind hearts and componets.

Now yer talkin!

Now yer talkin![/quote]

Now yer talkin’ lies.

Apparently pinesay was deceived by Bush/Cheney’s fraudulent campaign ad, which has been mindlessly parroted by various conservatives. Kerry does not support a 50-cent-a-gallon increase in the gas tax and has never voted for or sponsored legislation concerning such a tax. The lie that he supports such a tax is based on a comment he made 10 years ago, when gas was selling for $1 a gallon in the US, and the comment was of such minor significance that it was only reported in two news articles at the time.

factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=165

Moreover, the Bush/Cheney ad is full of misleading distortions concerning Kerry’s record on gas taxes:

factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=165

But you shouldn’t let the truth bother you.

If lies are good enough for dubya they ought to be good enough for the rest of us. :wink:

hexuan,

You mean I can just buy myself any diesel car and pour regular corn oil in the gas tank and there will be no longer term issues with the car. I’m curious about this now. Isn’t Cooking oil is more expensive then diesel at this time in the USA?

[quote=“spook”] That’s one of the reasons we threw you Brits out in the first place. You were trying to slap some taxes on gasoline.

[/quote]

God, the traffic jams to see the Boston tea party must have been horrendous… :wink:

[quote=“ac_dropout”]hexuan,

You mean I can just buy myself any diesel car and pour regular corn oil in the gas tank and there will be no longer term issues with the car. I’m curious about this now. Isn’t Cooking oil is more expensive then diesel at this time in the USA?[/quote]

There are issues. In cold weather cooking oil (which is heavier than mineral diesel) coagulates. This can clog the injectors and over-tax the fuel pump. If you’re running 100% cooking oil, a heater fitted before the fuel pump helps.

The easiest way is to run 75% diesel 25% cooking oil, or fit a device which starts the engine on diesel until the cooking oil has heated up. Or add 3% solvent (I forget which one) to the cooking oil which thins it down.

If you’ve got an old banger though, there’s nothing to worry about. It’ll run on the 75% mixture for years. Diesels aren’t as sensitive to thick mixtures as some people make out. European diesel is thicker than Japanese, and it’s a small adjustment to adapt for it. (I had a Japanese grey import in the UK). Also, diesel does thicken up and sometimes freeze in the winter, and it doesn’t cause horrendous problems to run some thick diesel through the motor. You’ll often see lorry drivers putting heaters under the tank in the morning at home - same in cold parts of N America I’m sure.

On modern high-tech diesels like the Audi or BMW or Mercs I’m sure the mixture correction involves an expensive trip to the dealer where some 16 year-old will get out a laptop and press a button - voila !