Alex Honnold To Free Climb Taipei 101 Sat 9am 24 Jan local time

Maybe I’m becoming an old cynic, but this one didn’t even get a chuckle from me. However, it’s been years since I watched SNL; maybe Reggie is a reoccurring character that I don’t get?

I’m guessing he’s doing it because it’s an easy climb for him. They estimate he can climb it in about 90 minutes which is insane to me. Best of luck to him

SNL is a bit tired. But with that character I’m guessing the punchline is that this event/hobby is such a white people thing to do

Imma shoot it Saturday morning with my best 300mm. Even if it’s a circus I can get some circus shots. It’d also be quite cool to shoot from up on Elephant mountain.

No man don’t shoot Alex he didn’t do nothin’ !
:pleading_face:

I think, this is medium risk for him. He is not afraid of heights. So he is not going to suffer from vertigo out of a sudden. This out of the way, it becomes more of a technical challenge, and since a building like this is pretty much the same all the way to the top, he only has to figure out one segment of the building. Stamina is not a big deal, cause he is well trained, he can rest after each segment and likely there is not much time-pressure for him, although Netflix might tell him to finish in time so they can wrap this up. Then there is rain, wind, and low temperatures. Rain is not very strong and in the interview he says that it won’t stay too wet on the side he is climbing, cuz it’s facing the sun, although there is not much sun these days, right? Wind should not be a problem, he says, and low temperatures he should be used to from climbing in the mountains. I think this is pretty safe for him, especially since he can abort any time, really, just pick a window (and face embarrassment).

No event information on this article, just more background information

https://apnews.com/article/alex-honnold-taipei-101-climb-netflix-0709f4d062923a09ff6da3786131fdd0

It’s crazy to us, but this is probably like riding a bike for him.

https://apnews.com/article/alex-honnold-taipei-101-climb-netflix-0709f4d062923a09ff6da3786131fdd0

I think it’s still physically challenging. Hopefully the temperatures rise a bit and it stops raining. I feel cold on the ground in this weather. Imagine being up there. It’s likely a few degrees lower than on the ground.

will be surprisingly boring

similar to most preliminary rounds of the Olympics

If you look at this, it’s like walking up a ladder (for him), at least the bottom bit. I thought each window was much higher.

A chopper is flying around Taipei 101 right now, filming him practicing? Hope they don’t fly into the tower, cuz there are clouds up there. Now the sun is out, but earlier part of the building was behind clouds.

Overview about the road closures / traffic restrictions in place:

To accommodate the climb and related filming, the Taipei City Department of Transportation said traffic controls will be enforced around the Taipei 101 area. If rain forces Saturday’s climb to be called off, the restrictions will be pushed back to Sunday.
[…]
Major traffic controls will be in place on Saturday from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. around the Taipei 101 area.

Songzhi Road will be fully closed in both directions between Songlian Road and Xinyi Road, Section 5.

Bidirectional traffic controls will also be enforced between Songlian Road and Songshou Road.
[…]
Pedestrian access will be restricted on Saturday from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m.

During this time, the east sidewalk of Songzhi Road, between Songlian Road and Xinyi Road, Section 5, will be closed, though passage through Xinyi Square will remain open.

The west sidewalk leading to the Taipei 101 office building will remain closed. Pedestrians may exit the tower via Shifu Road.

The Xinyi Road sidewalk adjacent to Xinyi Square will also be closed. Pedestrians are advised to cross at the intersection of Xinyi Road and Songren Road to reach the south side of the road.
[…]
On Saturday from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m., several bus routes will be diverted during the event, including Route 28 (Outbound), Route 46 (Inbound), Route 66, Route 669, Blue 5, City Minibus 7, Keelung Rd. Metro Bus (Inbound) and the Taipei Sightseeing Bus Red Line.

Not sure about xinyi, but it’s rainy this morning in my area of Taipei. I’d be surprised if it isn’t postponed.

I think the rain adds a certain frisson. Also it’s only a very light rain.

it’s off, change to tomorrow

Monday looks to be beautiful weather, hope they can push it till then. Much safer for Alex and also more enjoyable for everyone coming to watch in person and online.

Wouldn’t adverse conditions add to the suspense?

This is very uncomfortable to watch.