All hail the Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall!

Well not all of them. Who made up the Tang Wei? And why did CSB and A-Lu go to jail? jeez. pure silliness. Lee Tung-hui was a KMT member, technically, but he didn’t exactly abide by the letter of the law, thank the non-existent Christ on the Cross!!

Not because of CKS and not because of the KMT.
They went jail because of the result of their own actions.

CSB went to jail on a libel suit, which allowed him months to print an apology to the defendant in the magazine.

What does that have to do with CKS or the KMT?

who did csb libel and what exactly did he say?

Call it the Free Chinese Democracy Hall. Works for me. :laughing: :laughing:

But, those Greenies really hate the “Chinese” part, so never mind. :roflmao:

The plaintiff was Elmer Fung. CSB served 8 months for printing an article in his magazine that claimed Elmer was a plagiarist, among other things best not said in polite company. All CSB had to do was print a retraction in his magazine after he lost the case within a month or two to avoid incarceration.

The saga continues because Elmer is appealing rape conviction at this time and claims CSB is seeking political persecution against him for their past history.

I agree with Vorkosigan. Some things are better left alone. Preserving historic value should (at least sometimes) be more important than modernization. Humans are ruled by money and central banks, though, and these things get pushed to the wayside.

Go to Kaohsiung’s Cheng Qing Hu (lake) and you can see CKSs’ secret hideout, including his escape tunnel. He had carpet, a TV and an air conditioner. All of those look completely tacky now, but must have been the greatest thing at the time. What I hear from locals visiting at the same time is roughly: “That bastard had THIS? Then?”

Poagao, I’m interested in why you said that CKS was fake. I’m not aware of this and I would like to know.

I kind of like the wall around CKS actually, with all the different shapes of windows. And I don’t remember any effigies of CKS or his cronies on that wall which would make it a big triumph for the DPP to tear it down.
The wall and its roof also offer shelter from sun and rain around the wide expanse in the middle.

The plan to take down the wall is just another stupid stunt in the runup to the election. CSB and co are running out of ideas to improve the economy, so off they go wasting taxpayers money on tearing down walls. Just grandstanding to stir up enthusiasm from their supporters outside Taipei who have never seen the wall and will be easily fooled into believing a major victory has been scored.
As March 2008 approaches, we can expect a lot more of such stunts.

But maybe they can’t. My colleague informs me that the CKS Memorial Hall falls under some sort of law concerning memorials, which was passed by the legislature. Which means that any changes to it would also have to pass the legislature. (Yeah, right.) Is this right? If so, why haven’t the papers mentioned that CSB’s renaming plans are just pipe-dreams?

Is the memorial under the jurisdiction of Taipei City? Or the national government?

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Actually it is the DPP that is behaving in a fascist manner at this time. I guess it can’t be helped since they were all KMT members in the past.

Hypocrisy indeed.[/quote]

Hey, I can make you member of my ‘dimple dick cult’, actually you are a member now, no need to pay contributions … how does that sound … :smiley:

The cable news stations are all reporting that property value surrounding the Memorial Hall will actually rise in value once the wall is torn down. Perhaps the next step is to investigate which public officials (Blue or Green) own property and treat this move as a gross case of “self-fertilization” at taxpayers’ expense.

I think it falls under the management of the Ministry of Education, but the Taipei city government has some say over construction issues.

Is that right? Do you you mean that the majority of the Fujian style architecture, including the Lin Antai mansion, which now stands near the Xinsheng Park in Taipei’s Zhongshan District , as well as the Lin Family Mansion in Banqiao were built in the mid-20th century? By KMT refugees? As far as i know, these mansions were constructed in the 18th century, as was Longshan Temple in Taipei.

What about the traditional Fujian-style homes on Jinmen? Did CKS build all of those too?

The great thing about Taiwan besides the fact that it’s “democratic” is that it preserves some aspects of traditional Chinese culture. Complex characters, The National Palace Museum with its unparalleled collection of Chinese art, thanks to the “enemy of the people, the scoundrel Chiang Kai-Shek” and his KMT cohorts, and architecturally pleasing elements such as the CKS Memorial Hall, which fits nicely into the scheme of things.

Trying to rename CKS Memorial Hall"Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall" is the lamest political stunt I have yet seen in Taiwan. Tearing down the walls makes even less sense. So what if it looks imperial? All the better. The rest of the city looks alot like a a set of mouldy Legos, haphazardly scattered. An imposing traditional piece of tradtional Chinese architecture with imperial walls provides a welcome change.

Chen Shuibian’s latest de-Sinification campaign shows he has sunk to new lows. Chen just wants it to be his legacy, it’s a part of a larger plan to become the Godfather of Taiwanese Independence once his presidency is finished. Now’s the time for him to add a few more bullet points to his resume and rebuild his credentials with deep green supporters, after his abysmal performance over the past 7 years and failure to make good on promises of rectifying the nation’s name and changing the Constitution. So he’s on the offensive as the clock ticks. And it’s a classic one-two Chen Shuibian punch. Desinify to stir up ethnic conflict and consolidate his base - which serves the dual purpose of making the KMT look like “the alien regime” and thus the enemy of the native Taiwanese, and unites his supporters against a larger “Chinese” enemy, whether that be the KMT or the PRC.

:astonished:

That was a little joke.

st.

I think it’s a landmark that should be preserved in Taipei and it serves a purpose … removing the statue would be fine, but leave the rest …

And what’s wrong with it anyways?

I guess it depends how you look at it …

taiwanese and world tourists like to visit peking to see the imperial sites and even visit ol Mao’s tomb.

the Chinese from China view the CKS memorial as well as the SYS memorial in this same light. They are two popular spots that will become more popular when more Chinese are allowed in.

taiwan will be destroying one of the major attractions taipei city offers.

remember CKS was a figure of modern CHINESE history too. And they love to visit his statue and memorial and see the toy KMT soldiers do their thing too.

destroying this memorial doesnt destroy taiwan history as much as it destroys CHINESE history

There are Chinese on Taiwan?
That’s news to most green supporters.
I mean most of them think they are US nationals by now.

i second that. fantastic post.[/quote]

Thank you both.

I had been thinking, if the DPP gave back some articles from the National Palace Museum to China, it could be used to bash the KMT in all kinds of ways.

Reminding everyone the KMT should turn over ill-gotten assets.
CKS (again).
Fits the theme of getting rid of anything Chinese from Taiwan.
Bound to get tons of media coverage.
Could be sold as a genuine effort of the DPP and good will gesture to China in the hope of improving relations.

Of course , the articles in the National Palace Museum make it one of the best museums in the world. But you can’t make an omelet without breaking some eggs

[quote=“ac_dropout”]There are Chinese on Taiwan?
That’s news to most green supporters.
I mean most of them think they are US nationals by now.[/quote]

To the Americans, Taiwanese is just another Chinese, nothing more, nothing less.
Physically, culturally, linguistically, pyschologically, etc whatever you named it, … all of them are still Chinese.
Any trademark that they are different??

To Americans, Chinese are pretty much the same as Japanese, except with worse manners and organization. Sure there are differences of language, religion, and social custom, but the same could be said of China and Taiwan.

Identity isn’t a fact to be observed, so much as a feeling or recognition of belonging together. And you can’t just assume that people who resemble one another in some way, ought to want to be together.