All hail the Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall!

Just announced this week that CKS Memorial Hall’s getting a name change. I’m in favor, though I think the name sounds a little ponderous. (What’s wrong with just “Democracy Hall”? Is democracy dead now, that it needs a memorial?) They apparently haven’t officially decided yet what to do about the Idol, or the goose-stepping soldiers, but these seem bound for the dustbin of history as well.

No opinion really about getting rid of the wall, which is another proposal they’re mulling. Is there some hidden ideological significance that I’ve missed? Oh yeah, and the whole area will be known as Democracy Park. At least until after 2008, when it becomes Reunification Square.

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]Just announced this week that CKS Memorial Hall’s getting a name change. I’m in favor, though I think the name sounds a little ponderous. (What’s wrong with just “Democracy Hall”? Is democracy dead now, that it needs a memorial?) They apparently haven’t officially decided yet what to do about the Idol, or the goose-stepping soldiers, but these seem bound for the dustbin of history as well.

No opinion really about getting rid of the wall, which is another proposal they’re mulling. Is there some hidden ideological significance that I’ve missed? Oh yeah, and the whole area will be known as Democracy Park. At least until after 2008, when it becomes Reunification Square.[/quote]

…by popular vote joe chiang will be replaced by the worlds largest hello kitty…

yeah what is the significance with the wall? ok its a wall and we get that metaphor…but it doesnt really signify much…

I knew that the DPP’s renaming campaign would eventually focus its sights on the CKS Memorial. Must all traces of CKS be erased from Taiwan’s history, despite his having been the most significant figure in Taiwan’s history since Koxinga? Like it or not, many people still revere CKS. This unilateral renaming campaign is getting tiring, particularly since very little debate is allowed - they just roll forward with ham-fisted and lightning-fast abandon.

So much for preserving history. Now it must be re-written for political correctness as interpreted by one party.

The thing I find a little odd is that they want to demolish the surrounding wall …

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“Screaming Jesus”]
No opinion really about getting rid of the wall, which is another proposal they’re mulling. Is there some hidden ideological significance that I’ve missed? Oh yeah, and the whole area will be known as Democracy Park. At least until after 2008, when it becomes Reunification Square.[/quote]

yeah what is the significance with the wall? ok its a wall and we get that metaphor…but it doesnt really signify much…[/quote]

i believe the idea is it’s suggestive of the imperial era, and thus not the democratic one.

though it would have seemed a difficult feat, with this whole name changing thing the dpp has truly reached new heights of stupidity and pointlessness.

Surprise, surprise. You know, of course, that Chiang Kai-shek didn’t actually exist. He was made up. In fact, there is no such country as China, it’s just a prop set up by U.S. corporations (You didn’t really think Colonel Sanders was dead, did you?) to keep The 23 Million Taiwan People© in line.

Heh! I’m stealing this, Chris. It’s getting added to every CNA story mentioning the CKS memorial hall re-naming nonsense.

If anyone other than the DPP wins the next election, can’t they just re-name it again? No biggie.

Oh, I don’t know, seems fairly simple. The goal is leading up to the next election,

DPP is equated with democracy, freedom and justice.

KMT represents a hostile, foreign, authoritarian party which will sell out Taiwan to China at the first opportunity.

To cement this belief, bringing up CKS and events such as 228 are necessary. Renaming and changing text books makes sure they are constantly discussed in the papers.

It’s a simple tune, the trains already left the station, the media has got the game plan and is knocking out story after story.

Saw this in yesterdays TT, taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 2003350665

[quote]Support for democracy becomes the true litmus test of being Taiwanese.
[/quote]

[quote]Unfortunately for Taiwan, there appear to be some “pu-yis” in the hard core pan-blue camp. They would rather be puppets with privilege under the People’s Republic of China than commit to defending Taiwan’s democracy.

[/quote]

[quote]They fear democracy and – like the early KMT one-party state in Taiwan – they will only insist that all must answer to their call.
[/quote]

[quote]This is what the Taiwan Society Hakka highlights and why it is important. Its purpose is to defend Taiwan’s national sovereignty, consolidate democracy and the rule of law and enhance harmony among ethnic groups.

[/quote]

The unilateral part could well prove to be the saving grace for an endeavor which may otherwise, conceivably, look suspiciously like a political ploy to play victim. I am glad they did it

Theres no need for debate when it will only add further to the circus atmosphere thats Taiwan’s polity in action without achieving anything.

Democracy Memorial Hall? Is Democracy dead? All hail the Gizmo!

So Democracy Hall is going to presided over by CKS in the chair?

At least supply some fruit for those democrats (small d) who wish to protest.

They’ll change his face so it looks like Lee Tung-hui :smiley:

I just saw a news report that the proposal to tear down the wall includes tearing down the main gate. Now this is truly an outrage - that gate is an integral part of Taipei, a tourist attraction, a beloved and beautiful piece of architecture. What are the DPP idiots in the government :moon: thinking??

Also 63% of those surveyed oppose tearing down the wall.

Why can’t they leave well enough alone? If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Preserve history.

:raspberry:

It’s obviously the right thing to do, and long overdue.

CKS was a murderous, rapacious thug of a dictator who inflicted terrible suffering upon countless innocent Chinese and Taiwanese. What an outrage and insult to his victims and their descendants to keep a shrine to this evil brute in one of Taipei’s most prominent landmarks. His place in Taiwan’s history must be recorded with the best attainable objectivity and truthfulness, but he must be removed from his pedestal and state-ordained worship of him brought to an end.

However, I do not agree with removing the wall, which is an integral part of the aesthetic attraction of the whole. And I am not very impressed by the idea of renaming it the “Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall” or anything else along such lines.

My suggestion would be to call it something like the “Taiwan Heroes Memorial Hall” (台灣英雄紀念館), to commemorate all who have made a “heroic” contribution to Taiwan’s history, including Aboriginals, Westerners, and all Chinese regardless of when they or their ancestors arrived on these islands. The big CKS statue could be replaced with a suitable sculpture embodying a roll of honour on which a list of “heroes” is inscribed, with new names added whenever a suitably deserving “hero” passes away. And the exhibition space now devoted to CKS could be devoted to portraits of these heroes, accounts of their achievements and related exhibits. That would be a powerful symbol of inclusiveness and multi-ethnic unity, and would make much better use of this important public space.

What significant piece of history? The memorial was dedicated in 1980, not 1580. It is the final expression of the personality cult of Chiang cultivated by the KMT during the martial law era. Chiang is certainly significant and should probably be memorialized, but not by a sick parody of the Lincoln Memorial in the heart of downtown Taipei. And any memorial to Chiang should include mention of his victims…

…a poster on my blog noted…

+++++++++++
CKS Memorial is not even Chinese architecture. It is a post-modern imitation of northern imperialist structures except that the proportions are all farcically large. Nothing in that place looks like it was designed for anyone under 30ft tall (this in stark contrast to northern Chinese architecture to which it is referring).

Actually, there’s not even such a thing as a public park in the Chinese architectural tradition. Fortunately, public parks/public space has become a firm fixture of Taiwanese urban planning (not that I’m happy with it in general).

Many people in Taiwan think that there is historical/cultural value to the Chinese-looking architecture in Taiwan. Unfortunately, many people don’t realize that a lot of this stuff was built in the 1950s-1970s, way after the Chinese KMT came to Taiwan. Chiang Kai-shek and company were largely disgusted by how “un-Chinese” Taiwan looked.

It’s funny. Last year, Ma Ying-jeou tried to tear down the wall of a Confucian temple in Taipei. If there is a structure that, in order to preserve its cultural/historic value, should have a high wall, it’s a Confucian temple. Ma and his “Cultural Minister” argue that cutting down the wall would be good for sight-seeing tourism. Well, Confucian temples, very much unlike the Daoist/folk-religion temples in Taiwan, were traditionally opened only once a year and was a sacred place that sort of worshipped education. The whole point of the wall was to emphasize its sacredness. The high wall of separation is the same reason the Catholic Church does not build 1-story high cathedrals.

When locals got wind of Ma’s plan to prostitute the temple to tourism, they came out and protested. Ma sent his Cultural Minister (no aides, no one else, just one clueless minister–who’s taking notes on what the protestors want??). That day there was a police to protestor ratio of like 1:4 plus there were un-uniformed officers that looked like participants until they got tired and all sat in the back together. The whole protest was also thoroughly videotaped.

Anyways, pan-Blue hypocrisy is nothing new.
+++++++++

It’s kind of funny, the ethnocentric construction of murderous dictators. Nobody would accept a massive monument to Mussolini in the heart of modern Rome – except his fascist supporters. There is no monument to Hitler in Berlin, but he is by far the most significant figure in modern German political history. Franco’s massive monument to fallen, really his own, is also in the process of being renamed for his victims. But let someone propose the same for Taiwan’s own murderous dictator, no different from Franco or Mussolini…

The DPP is not some weird set of nuts out of the world mainstream. Quite the opposite; supporters of the KMT position on this fantastic monument to a sick personality cult are out of the mainstream. It’s sad that people from democratic nations break out in cynical commentary when stuff that is normal in other nations healing from fascist dictatorships is proposed for Taiwan.

Michael

The CKS memorial hall is crap. A big beer tent would be just the thing for the empty space.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]And I am not very impressed by the idea of renaming it the “Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall” or anything else along such lines.

My suggestion would be to call it something like the “Taiwan Heroes Memorial Hall” (台灣英雄紀念館), [/quote]

But to name it “Heroes” instead of “Democracy” would miss out the opportunity of using the word democracy and equating it to the DPP. Eloquent, but not a marketing guy I see.

Excellent post as usual, Michael.

Actually it is the DPP that is behaving in a fascist manner at this time. I guess it can’t be helped since they were all KMT members in the past.

Hypocrisy indeed.