All hail the Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall!

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“tommy525”][quote=“Lord Lucan”]I suppose they’ll be renaming “Taipei” to “Daibak” or somthing soon. I wonder will “Zhonghe” become “D’yong Haw”.

“Yong Ho” should just have “u” added.[/quote]

daibak? haha correct tho in Taiwanese, then TEONG HO, and YING HO to be correct on the other two.[/quote]

How about renaming all place names to what they were before the Qing Government started changing them between 1875 and 1885?

Hsinchu (Xinzhu) -> Teuk Cham
Taoyuan -> To-a-hung
Dadaocheng -> Twatutia
Wanhua -> Banka
Chungli (Zhongli) -> Tiong Liek
Puli -> Polisia
Hualian -> Chokeday
Jiayi -> Kagee
Kaohsiung -> Takow
Lanyu -> Botel Tobago

Then making Tainan the capital again and calling it Taiwanfoo![/quote]

HEY i like it

Today’s Taipei Times has an article which touches on the legal question. Apparently Mayor Hau says the city has to approve any deconstruction (of the non-abstract variety). Is there an exception for handicapped remodeling? That might explain the DPP’s language… Oh, and there seems to be a disagreement as to whether the MOE might change the site’s name without permission from the legislature. I can’t follow the details.

Maybe they could keep the wall, but bolt onto it the names of CKS’s victims.

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“Lord Lucan”]I suppose they’ll be renaming “Taipei” to “Daibak” or somthing soon. I wonder will “Zhonghe” become “D’yong Haw”.

daibak? haha correct tho in Taiwanese, then TEONG HO, and YING HO to be correct on the other two.[/quote]

AHA! You speak Northern KMT Murdering Bastard Taiwanese! Only my brand of Taiwanese from Heoung Bluerghk is the REAL Taiwanese! You clearly must not love Taiwan enough! Therefore we must band together and denounce you in a struggle session to be held… oops. Wrong Cultural Revolution.

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]
Maybe they could keep the wall, but bolt onto it the names of CKS’s victims.[/quote]

the CKS Memorial Wall? te name changeould be easy in english tour books: just change one letter.

sort of like the veterans’ memorial wall in washington… with the names of the “heroes” of the country emblazoned thereon, amidst a quiet garden of reflective contemplation in the middle of the bustle of the modern democratic capital of the republic of Taiwan… what a tourist attraction that would be. it would rob some of the shine from the martyrs’ shrine, though. but at least the martyrs’ shrine could still have the shiny heads dong their OTT rifle twirling on the hour every hour… that is one thing that should disappear from the abe lincoln memorial , sorry CKS memorial hall.

Why bother tearing it down? Just wait until after the missile attacks and start fresh.

[quote=“Lord Lucan”][quote=“tommy525”][quote=“Lord Lucan”]I suppose they’ll be renaming “Taipei” to “Daibak” or somthing soon. I wonder will “Zhonghe” become “D’yong Haw”.

AHA! You speak Northern KMT Murdering Bastard Taiwanese! Only my brand of Taiwanese from Heoung Bluerghk is the REAL Taiwanese! You clearly must not love Taiwan enough! Therefore we must band together and denounce you in a struggle session to be held… oops. Wrong Cultural Revolution.[/quote]

HAHA but HO HO , actually my taiwanese Gf claims that i speak “classical taiwanese” like from hundreds of years ago :bow: !!

Wow. How old is your Taiwanese GF?

Wow. How old is your Taiwanese GF?[/quote]

well shes from taichung and that explains it probably as those peeps over there speak taiwanese with their own accents

i speak standard “taipei” taiwanese (and actually i dont speak it all that well, my mandarin is better)

Urodacus, I think the so-called “Martyr’s Shrine” ought to be restored to its original function, as a Shinto temple. Maybe the Tenrikyo folks next door could run it.

They don’t want to tear down the whole thing do they? Leave it with the statue and exhibits of 228 and the white terror as a reminder. I believe Auschwitz is preserved for educational reasons. Are there places in Taipei educating the public about the aborigines and the japanese occupation? if not, these exhibits could be part of the new CKS Hall.

thanks for the info. i did not know any of that…

Abe would be happy to come and bless it for us i suppose… and some of those japanese gentlemen wearing funny hats and gowns. they’re cool.

it should be kept as the cks hall, eliminate the honor guards, put the real history into the exhibits, but recognize that without cks taiwan as we know it simply does not exist.

Some may argue that is the point…the end game.

“without CKS Taiwan simply does not exist”

so how did CKS created Taiwan? With a shovel or a caterpillar?

Probably, without the KMT, maybe Taiwan would still be Japanese. Have you ever thought about that?

There’s a couple. There’s an Hakka Culture museum somewhere and a whole aboriginal museum in Beitou, right by the Hot Spring museum.

[quote=“mr_boogie”]“without CKS Taiwan simply does not exist”

so how did CKS created Taiwan? With a shovel or a caterpillar?

Probably, without the KMT, maybe Taiwan would still be Japanese. Have you ever thought about that?[/quote]

I would guess without CKS and the KMT, Taiwan would most likely be part of the People’s Republic of China than being a part of Japan…

I’m not sure actual knowledge of history will win you many points with mr_boogie.

But of course, the above is most certainly correct. After WW2, Taiwan was handed to “China” by the Allies. If not for CKS and the KMT, the Taiwan issue would’ve been resolved right then and there.

Yes it would have been handed back to the Manchurians… :laughing:

Man, some people have really been wearing green-tinted goggles too long. Chiang Kai-Shek should be compared to Hitler now? Because of his extensive use of German military advisors from Nazi Germany? I think we all know Chiang was always willing to take help from whoever would give it to him without much concern over the political ideology of the respective government. What exactly did Stalin’s Soviet Union, Hitler’s Germany and Roosevelt’s America have in common anyway? And yes the KMT government incorporated elements of fascism, but it was still a better option than what Mao was offering. I suggest that the Chiang haters on this forum put him into the context of the times, and they will see he doesn’t look particularly unusual. For those who would like an objective rendering of the man and his accomplishments and failures, I strongly suggest the recent Jonathan Fenby biography “Chiang Kai-Shek: China’s Generalissimo and the Nation He Lost.”

e t