All Politicians are Scumbags?

Do you have proof of this?

1 Like

Do you need a link to a peer reviewed paper?

“Gender differences among politicians on the Harvard Scumbag Scale: a prospective study”.

Somebody ought to do it.

2 Likes

I didn’t mention anything about gender.

All politicians are scumbags? Seems rather prejudiced. All I would need to do is find one decent human being as a politician to disprove this.

1 Like

Yes, you could probably do that, if you felt so inclined. As I said earlier, I’m sure there are a smallish number of them who are (still) decent, honest people who are doing their best for the people they represent. The majority get sucked into the machine, because that’s simply how the machine works. If you want “evidence” of this, all you need to do is watch how they behave. It’s become deeply unfashionable to look at what your own eyes are telling you, but I can thoroughly recommend it.

2 Likes

Is Audrey Tang a scumbag? What did Audrey Tang do to earn the title?

1 Like

Yeah well humans have 2 arms and 2 legs.

Well not all.

Come on dude. Not need to explain case by case. If it’s generally true, it’s generally true, even there is some exception. You know that.

3 Likes

I distinctly remember the words ‘all politicians’ being spoken.

1 Like

I have no idea. I haven’t met him/her. And AFAIK it’s against the rules to make personal remarks about people who are registered here. However I get the impression that Audrey is mostly concerned with whether something is technically interesting, and perhaps with career progression, rather than whether his/her policies/decisions are doing Taiwan any good. IIRC Audrey was involved in the ‘vaccine passport’ ideas being thrown around a couple of years ago - which would have prevented the untermensch from participating in civil society. I’d be curious to know how that panned out: whether it was the lawyers who said “this would be unconstitutional” or whether Audrey pushed back at the whole concept.

If it’s only 80% true the statement still would be true. In a simple discussion is absolutely valid to do that.

The “yeah but not all” is just stupid. Not nesescary to do that. It’s disruptive.

2 Likes

You have no idea. Then on what basis is this claim true that all politicians are scumbags?

I don’t think you’re actually asking a serious question here. As the donkey said, we don’t need to have a debate about the meaning of ‘all’, or zoom in on specific people. In this context, it means ‘way too many of them’. In any case, it seems to me the general implication here is that, if we had more women in politics, it would somehow mitigate male scumbaggery - that women are less prone to being scumbags in positions of power than men are. I see no evidence of that to date.

1 Like

Are all Italians catholic?

What exactly did Wayne Long, Member of Parliament for Saint John—Rothesay do to make him a scumbag?

I would assume that scumbags should have a history and pattern of scumbaggery, no?

I should be able to look at this objectively and determine if someone is a scumbag.

Let it go. Save face. Everyone knows how to understand it. Don’t play those games.

1 Like

I’m not playing any games. I’m challenging a claim presented as fact.

As I said the good old “yeah but not all”

Everyone knows that. Come on. It’s nothing else.
Lame.

There are hundreds of thousands of politicians across democracies that we don’t even know the names of.

All of them? 80% of them? I’d like to see some evidence.

Jim Chalmers, MP for Rankin. What did he do?

What on earth do you think you’re trying to prove here?

The thread is about gender quotas. I was pointing out that if you pick 10 male and 10 female politicians, you’ll find that a majority of them - regardless of gender - are in it for personal reasons. Power, money, or whatever. They have little or no concern for the electorate. Can you find some who aren’t like that? Sure. But the nature of the system is that they will fail, or at least will be prevented from doing ‘harm’ to vested interests. Whether they are male or female, they’ll be chewed up and spat out, thereby making room for a preponderance of scumbags.

1 Like

My finger slipped.

Nothing. I challenged a claim. Am I wrong?

I know politicians in real life. I wouldn’t be friends with someone I consider a scumbag.

One of them works effortlessly to provide for his disabled child while trying to make a difference. He even drives better than the locals.

1 Like

You’re being insincere, and you know it. You’re aware of the colloquial meaning of “all X are Y”, and I clarified what I meant by it (“too many of them”). I also defined “scumbag” as someone who is more interested in what they can get out of politics personally than in serving the electorate.

Unfortunately, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s an asset to the nation. It just means he’s an asset to his family, and that his job provides him the means to care for his family.

1 Like

He’s still a politician and part of the apparatus that creates and sets policy.

A bad person needs to have a consistent pattern of bad acts.

1 Like