All time best expat memoirs

I know where you can get some onguent

(I need ONGUENT!!!
)

for that…[/quote]
Chief, you’re nothing but a Turtonite Dalit that is over represented in the educational sector and who will be reincarnated as an insect doomed to live his life inside the walls of a buxiban - not much different from parts of his present life :laughing: the pain of repeating the cycle of life!!!

I’ll have to look into it and get back to you on that one.

Damn!!! Now that’s what I call a good old fashion ass whoop’n! :smiley: :smiley:

Sandy/Chiefy - get off your crusty old smelly white asses and get typing! :smiley:

Damn!!! Now that’s what I call a good old fashion ass whoop’n! :smiley: :smiley:

Sandy/Chiefy - get off your crusty old smelly white asses and get typing! :smiley:[/quote]

That might be what you call it, I call it a fucking monkey typing Shakespeare.
And who said I was white?
Oh, and don’t call me chiefy.

[quote=“the chief”]
Oh, and don’t call me chiefy.[/quote]
Is this purple trollfuck getting familiar with you, Mr The Chief? Want me to hunt it down and kill it?

ppp, trolling is only good if you can write in a way that amuses your readers, or makes fun of a sacred cow or is in other ways witty or clever. Flinging shit at people who don’t care what you think is pointless, wouldn’t you agree?

He’s gotta find some way to take potshots at the people he hates. He wouldn’t dare do it to their faces, and there probably aren’t enough like-minded people to gather into a quorum. The only other choice is to stop being a dickhead, and that takes too much work.

Quoted for hilarity:

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“the chief”]
Oh, and don’t call me chiefy.[/quote]
Is this purple trollfuck getting familiar with you, Mr The Chief? Want me to hunt it down and kill it?[/quote]

Thanks anyways, Elvdrix.
This poostain ain’t worth interrupting a cabbage-egg fart over, let alone a week-long drunk.
Please carry on with your fine work.

Can I vote for the worst or does it need to be a separate thread? I just read strip me naked in the temple of heaven and it was absolute pants. Self absorbed ivy league wankress runs round china for 6 weeks and then claims it as a world conquest having come home early because her best mate went nuts - so would I if I had been traveling with er - seriously.

Oh I know wankress probably isn’t a word - I’m sure BCup will give me a better one.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Can I vote for the worst or does it need to be a separate thread? I just read strip me naked in the temple of heaven and it was absolute pants. Self absorbed ivy league wankress runs round china for 6 weeks and then claims it as a world conquest having come home early because her best mate went nuts - so would I if I had been traveling with er - seriously.

Oh I know wankress probably isn’t a word - I’m sure BCup will give me a better one.[/quote]

Hmm.

That’s the problem with travel writing - only bores do it. The premise is crap in this age of cheap international jet travel. Who wants second hand ‘what I did on my holidays’? People who think being an expat is interesting and important enough to write about, in and of itself, nowadays are unlikely to be much fun; they can’t be particularly international if they see difference everywhere. Parochial, bourgeois blah.

I like ‘Seven Years In Tibet’, because the guy was actually interesting and had stuff to say.

[quote=“Buttercup”]
I like ‘Seven Years In Tibet’, because the guy was actually interesting and had stuff to say.[/quote]

Not because Brad Pitt was in it?

[quote=“Edgar Allen”][quote=“Buttercup”]
I like ‘Seven Years In Tibet’, because the guy was actually interesting and had stuff to say.[/quote]

Not because Brad Pitt was in it?[/quote]

I don’t think he was in the book though.

A novel, but a thinly veiled one: Hotel Honolulu by Paul Theroux

Letters from Thailand by Botan.

It is a novel comprised of letters written by a Chinese immigrant to Thailand over a period of 20 years starting in 1945. It very much mirrors the life of a famous Thai immigrant to Taiwan. The man who founded the Magnolia Hotel.

Seven Years in Tibet was a great book.

Another one I liked was the Fruit Palace by Charles Nicholl. It tells of his fictional adventures in Columbia. It’s old like 1985 or so but it’s the low down on the cocaine industry at that time.

He also did some thing similar about the Golden Triangle, but I can’t remember its name.