Allergies and pillows/ bedding

Boil water and add it to the machine. Or get a long hose and attach it to your kitchen tap.

BTW, my wife found this mite spray for pillows. She has been using it for a few weeks and swears it is helping her.

Have you ever tried this before? My washer has specific instructions that hot water should not be added…do you think that hot water would damage the machine somehow? Logic tells me “no, of course not, don’t be stupid!” But, this IS Taiwan… :unamused:

Have you ever tried this before? My washer has specific instructions that hot water should not be added…do you think that hot water would damage the machine somehow? Logic tells me “no, of course not, don’t be stupid!” But, this IS Taiwan… :unamused:[/quote]

Yes, I have. No problems. I did mix the boiling water in with cooler water. Maybe really scalding water could hurt it.

[quote]
Indoor Controls

To control dust mites:

Use only polyester-fill pillows and comforters (never feather or down). Encase pillows and mattresses in mite-proof covers (available at allergy-supply stores). Keep covers clean by vacuuming or wiping them down once a week.
Wash sheets and blankets a child sleeps on once a week in very hot water (130 degrees Fahrenheit or higher) to kill dust mites.
Avoid upholstered furniture, window mini-blinds, and carpeting in a child’s bedroom and playroom. They can collect dust and harbor dust mites (especially carpets).
Use washable throw rugs on vinyl or hardwood floors, and wash rugs in hot water weekly.
Use washable curtains and vinyl window shades that can be wiped down. Wash curtains in hot water weekly.
Dust and vacuum weekly. If possible, use a vacuum specially designed to collect and trap dust mites.
Reduce the number of dust-collecting houseplants, books, knickknacks, and non-washable stuffed animals in your home.
Avoid humidifiers when possible because moist air promotes dust mite infestation.

To control pollens and molds:

Avoid humidifiers, because humidity promotes mold growth. If you must use a humidifier, keep it very clean to prevent mold from growing in the machine.
Ventilate bathrooms, basements, and other dark, moist places that commonly grow mold. Consider keeping a light on in closets and using a dehumidifier in basements to remove air moisture.
Use air conditioning: it removes excess air moisture, filters out pollens from the outside, and provides air circulation throughout your home. Filters should be changed once a month.
Avoid wallpaper and carpets in bathrooms, as mold can grow under them.
Use bleach to kill mold in bathrooms.
Keep windows and doors shut during pollen season. [/quote]

Did a Google search: Environmental control measures AND dust mites, and it yielded this site. I think the info is solid, so I posted it. Hope it adds to the discussion.

Bodo

Another bit of info, but from a reliable source the American Academy of Family Practice Physcians:

[quote]Recommended Environmental Control Measures

Dust mites
Encase mattresses and pillows in vinyl or semipermeable covers; wash all bedding every one to two weeks in hot water at least 54.4

So freezing for 24 hours should work…hmmm…time to clean out the freezer.

Does anyone know where I can buy these covers in Taipei city? Thanks.

I will speak for Ecoquest that there product is good, has been tested by universities, labs, and independent sources thorughly. I can connect you with a mountain of information that will prove this. We are aware of the danger of ozone at high levels, namely 50,000 ppb and up. However, ours are nowhere near to this and they do provide safe air cleaning capacity. If you have owned a Fresh Air which I’m sure is the product you bought, you will probably attest to this. The ozone in our product does not “eat tissue”. Try turning down the setting on your machine or contact your dealer if the smell bothers your husband or son please for my sake.

Ectoplasma:

When I bought my new mattress, they sold me a cover that completely encases it, so it really helps regarding allergens. Most covers go only half-way. Ask in your local furniture place in they have it.

I saw these mite-proof covers at Shinkong Mitsukoshi, but they were quite a bit expensive. I am waiting for the year sale to get them.

In the meantime, I use a bit of Pine Sol -a kind of house disinfectant you can get at COSTCO- to wash the bed sheets and pillow cases, and I wash the pillows every two weeks. I may also add some baking soda.

My neighbors put their bed sheets on their cars and in the middle of the road to get the same effect from the sun.