Allergies and pillows/ bedding

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4339306.stm

It’s so fascinating what scientist find these days … loads of different strains of fungi and spores in our pillows … jeez :saywhat:

[quote]I think it is still advisable to disinfect pillows and buy feather ones to help reduce the exposure in the home
Dr Geoffrey Scott, of the Fungal Research Trust[/quote]

I always thought feather pillows were the worst offenders for allergies. Interesting information.

I had an Ecoquest air purifier in my home for a week as a demo. The guy I talked to also told me how to disinfect bedding and pillows. I wanted to buy the machine but my husband had a hard time with the NT30,000+ price tag. I also noticed something interesting about this machine. It puts out a scent that I have also noticed on the dish-drying machine that came installed in our new apartment. I’m wondering if it’s something to do with the technology. It’s not an unpleasant smell but it bothers my husband and son.

What other ways are there to disinfect pillows besides spraying them down with something like Lysol (which I used to do for mattresses and pillows until I figured out it was probably more harmful than the stuff growing on there.) :s

Lysol and mushrooms. Sounds like a party.

[quote=“braxtonhicks”]I had an Ecoquest air purifier in my home for a week as a demo. The guy I talked to also told me how to disinfect bedding and pillows. I wanted to buy the machine but my husband had a hard time with the NT30,000+ price tag. I also noticed something interesting about this machine. It puts out a scent that I have also noticed on the dish-drying machine that came installed in our new apartment. I’m wondering if it’s something to do with the technology. It’s not an unpleasant smell but it bothers my husband and son.

What other ways are there to disinfect pillows besides spraying them down with something like Lysol (which I used to do for mattresses and pillows until I figured out it was probably more harmful than the stuff growing on there.) :s[/quote]

That’s ionized air, ozon … just my guess

That’s ionized air, ozone … just my guess[/quote]
Yeah, and the ozone is far worse than fungi for your eyes, lungs, throat, and skin. It destroys the tissues – basically, it’s doing the same things to you that it’s doing to the fungi.

Throwing it into the washing machine with a bit of bleach works fine. Go easy on the soap. Really needs a dryer, though – so if you don’t have one at home, it’s laundromat time.

Ozone. Hmm… thought it was supposed to be good for us.

Hadn’t thought of the washing machine for pillows. I guess you could also pop them in the dryer without washing too, right?

Housekeeping shouldn’t be this complicated!!

Yes, when it’s at least 65,000 feet above our heads.

There are, however, all sorts of deranged lunatics out there claiming ozone cures AIDS, is great for the complexion, is perfectly harmless, etc. It’s all a bunch of crap, but there’s no convincing some people until they drop dead from emphysema.

Not really; the bleach is what kills the fungi. Heat might get some of them, but mostly they’ll just form spores, which are pretty hardy.

You don’t want to use too much bleach, though, since then it won’t all rinse out. Likewise with soap or detergent.

Back home I would run the pillows through a second cycle with just water, to clean them out better. I didn’t wash the pillows themselves all that often, since the pillowcases kept them reasonably clean.

What about just putting them outside to get direct sunlight? That’s what my wife does on a regular basis.

Yes, when it’s at least 65,000 feet above our heads.

There are, however, all sorts of deranged lunatics out there claiming ozone cures AIDS, is great for the complexion, is perfectly harmless, etc. It’s all a bunch of crap, but there’s no convincing some people until they drop dead from emphysema.[/quote]It seems pretty clear that too high a concentration of ozone is bad. But the “deranged lunatics” you mention include a lot of major hospitals around the world, who use ionization for its antibacterial effect.

I am sure there are some wacky pro-ozone claims out there, but what is certain is that ionizers are effective at cleaning the air.

If a little bit of ozone is so bad then nobody should go to the seaside or stand next to waterfalls.

Having said this, one public toilet I remember used ionizers and there was a very strong smell of ozone. Probably OK for the duration of a “number 2” but I’d be wary of that degree of ionization on a long-term basis.

i have one of those bean bag pillows. does mold grow there as well?
not sure what kinda bean…

See this thread:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 868#453868

Also did you know that 1/3 the weight of your pillow is insects? Something like that…so between the insects and funguses…that’s a lot of crap in there.

If you weigh your pillow…and then wash it, the weight of it will drop almost in half.

Pillows only cost about 150nt…maybe just buy a new one every 3 months or so?

:noway: So you think it is time to wash our pillows after 10 years already? :rainbow:

Not quiet sure if this can be proven… guess it has to see something with humidity also no? 1/3rd is a LOT you know!

:noway: So you think it is time to wash our pillows after 10 years already? :rainbow:

Not quiet sure if this can be proven… guess it has to see something with humidity also no? 1/3rd is a LOT you know![/quote]

Well you could wash and dry it…then let it sit for 8 hours so the humidity in it can build up…and then weigh it.

Not quiet sure if this can be proven… guess it has to see something with humidity also no? 1/3rd is a LOT you know![/quote]

Well you could wash and dry it…then let it sit for 8 hours so the humidity in it can build up…and then weigh it.[/quote]

I’ve tried researching the subject. I can’t disprove it, so, unless somebody can come up with proof then we have to go with 1/3 or our pillow weight is nice soft insects.

I did find something to say you should wash bedding in very hot water to kill dust mites. Lower temperatures apparently just gives them a good wash.

When I go back to Australia I have to start on Claratyne (antihistamine) before I even arrive, this seems to keep the sneezing and itchy eyes away.

[quote]Major strategies (WHO Strength of Recommendation A)

* Wash bedding regularly (every 1

…and my washer is solely a cold water washer…yuk…how are we supposed to kill mites if we can’t wash bedding properly in this country? :unamused:

I let off a bug bomb in my bedroom about once a year. The kind that you add water and they fill the room with smoke.

Or … you could put it in the freezer for a few days … :smiley:

Would that work? Airtight bad and 16 hours in a freezer?