Alleycat's - Food & Service

Great food Alleycat – like mom’s. Wish I could’ve stuck around longer but duty (the wife) called. But I’ll be sure to take her to Alleycats and then she’ll understand. Thanks.

We think it was very nice too (can we have a free pizza ?) But a little disappointed there weren’t any chips :?

Again, another great job with the food Alleycat. I forgot pizza could actually have flavor without needing the addition of red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese. Thank goodness for Alleycat’s!

The chips were quite good, but by the time we came back at 7:35 (we originally arrived at 6:55 and were told to go away), the salsa was already gone. There was apparently only enough for about 3 or 4 servings. Let’s see, what else… Good soup and bread. Very good salad. Did not care for the pizza - the words “doughy” and “good” will never appear in the same sentence if I am speaking about pizza. I actually thought it had been undercooked due to the rush, but apparently not, from what has been said here. The service was horribly slow, but that is certainly understandable. Mrs. Alleycat was obviously doing her absolute best. I would hate to see what the evening would have been like without her. While most of the Forumosa regulars were apparently content with the evening, a lot of other people were not. I heard several people making unhappy comments as they left, due to their inability to get food. Three of the people who were joining me left without eating, and I doubt they will return, especially since they had made a 40 minute journey to get there. Personally, I guess I got my money’s worth, since we had 2 beers and 2 glasses of wine to go with our soup, salad, and small amount of pizza, but it was definitely not up to my admittedly high expectations.

Walter,

Thanks for coming (twice). You are of course talking about our opening night. Well, to be honest the pizzas were coming out too fast, due to my inexperience with this oven and the huge demand. We were quite unexpectedly taken aback by the huge turnout.

I planned for that by only charging a nominal charge on our opening night. Admittedly, you and your friends leaving dissatisfied went contrary to my plan, as I wanted everyone to at least be satiated, with food and drink.

Anyway, if you’re in the neighbourhood again, come on in. I’ll make you a pizza that is crisp.

Best,

Alleycat

And I’m sorry, you were told to go away and come back at 7:30. Please accept my apologies.

Walter, just to reassure you, at happy hour the pizzas were indeed deliciously crisp. And I’m serious about asking whether you do takeout, Alleycat - we just had pizza tonight from a place that cost a third again as much and wasn’t as good - it would have been better value to spend the extra money on taxi fare :slight_smile:

We’ve just enjoyed more great food at Alleycat’s. Sure, the pizzas were great–the cat’s meow, if you will–but I would like to praise the Caesar Salads. Crisp, excellent, with just the right amonut of dressing. Very, very good.

And I love that Hoegaardens is on tap. This is a great beer, IMHO, and Alleycat’s is a great place to drink a large glass of it, along with a pizza or a salad.

I look forward to trying the Shepherd’s Pie and some of the other items on the menu–along with more of the Hoegaardens.

Well-done, Alleycat.

Great salad, great pizza, great price, great service, thanks!

Ricotta and spinach calzone! Oh my, oh my! Hope we didn’t keep you and the lovely Jenny up too late last night Alleycat. A very pleasant evening.

I went into Alleycat’s tonight after work and enjoyed a pretty damn good pizza with a pint of Hoegaarden. Loved the thin crust, fresh and delish. Very relaxing in there too. Great job Alley, I knew I’d get in there one of these days.

Amos.

Does anyone have a link to the CHina post review of Alleycats?

We had a chicken calzone and pizza at Allleycats yesterday and it was great. Love the taste of his pizza sauce.

Went to Alleycat’s last night and had the best pizza we’ve had in Taiwan!
Thanks Alleycat!

There is a generally favorable review in today’s Taipei Times. Congratulations, Alleycat!

[b]Try a lemon with your pizza.

Photo: Max Woodworth, Taipei Times
[/b]

Hi All,

New additions to our menu are shown in red:

[color=red]Bruchetta-Tomatoes and Basil NT$ 90
4 Slices of Oven Toasted Crispy Garlic Bread Topped with Diced Tomatoes, Fresh Garlic and Basil and a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil[/color]

[color=red]Bruchetta-Ricotta and Anchovies NT$ 140
4 Slices of Oven Toasted Crispy Garlic Bread Topped with Ricotta and Anchovies, with drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil[/color]

Garlic, Herb, & Olive Oil Pizza CrustNT$70
Fresh Pizza Dough Sprinkled With Fresh Garlic, Thyme, Oregano And Basil, Baked Until Crisp

Oven-Baked Garlic Bread烘烤大蒜麵包 NT$ 70
Crispy French Bread, With Real Garlic And Real Butter, Really Good

Caesar Salad With Croutons NT$ 90
Crisp Romaine Dressed With Our Homemade Caesar

Chicken Caesar Salad With Croutons NT$ 120
Crisp Romaine Dressed With Our Homemade Caesar, Topped With Grilled Chicken Breast

Greek Salad NT120
Olives, Onions, Feta, Green Peppers, Fresh Tomatoes, Tossed And A Drizzle Of Canola Oil

[color=red]Tuna and White Bean Salad NT$180
Butter Beans, Kidney Beans, White Beans and Chick Peas, Chopped Tomatoes, Fresh Garlic, Lemon Juice, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Crushed Rosemary, and Flaked Tuna. Sprinkled with Fresh Parmesan, comes with our Garlic Bread[/color]

[color=red]Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella and Tomato Salad NT$280
Sliced Imported Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella and Beautiful Red Tomatoes Drizzled with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a dash of Lemon Juice[/color]

[color=red]Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella, and Cacciatori and Tomato Salad NT$320
As above but with Small Cured Italian Salami from Lombardy Region) [/color]

More to come.

Thanks,

Alan

my 1st visit there sunday nite and i must say it was prolly the best italian feed i’ve eva had in taipei (or even the world for that matter). even the garlic bread is several notches above everywhere else…

Went to Alleycat’s tonight, and the pizza was awesome! Love that crust! Great job Alleycat!

My wife and I had a great goat cheese pizza (and drinks, of course) last weekend at Alleycat’s. We went a bit early, and the whole experience was very good. We had gone once before, and, although the food was wonderful, the place was crowded, making the service really slow. I know that there is only so much to be done with only two people taking care of the joint, but our first visit was definitely not as enjoyable as our second. We do plan to drop in at least twice a month. Good show!

I have been back to Alleycats three times since my not altogether enjoyable experience on opening night, so I have obviously found something I like - namely, the pepperoni pizza. I especially like the seasonongs on it. Strangely, the Caesar salad that I so enjoyed the first night has not tasted very good since. I don’t know if something has changed, or if I was just so hungry at that moment that almost anything would have been tasty. I tried the new house red and found it to be a perfectly acceptable table wine for the price. The service has always been pleasant, maybe a bit slow when busy, but not horribly so. Unfortunately, the person I usually go with has two rather strong objections, which have prevented me from returning lately: 1. There is no bacon on the topping list. 2. She can’t stand the smell from the oven, and says it stays on our hair and clothes when we leave. I have never noticed, but I admit she has a much more sensitive nose than I do. Then again, maybe this is just her way of making me go somewhere that has bacon. ;^)

I’ve noticed the same thing. The dressing is defintiely different from the the first night (week?). I was going to ask Alleycat about it when I saw him on Monday, but I forgot. Alleycat, can you bring back that original dressing? Not only was it better, it was unique - I hadn’t ever had a Casear dressing quite like that before.

I also went last nite with my wife and 5 starving kids. We had goat cheese pizza with basil. very good.

alas, I do miss that Shepherd’s Pie. but I must say the 100nt glass of wine was decent. and the garlic bread is still very garlicky good. and the calzone is still delicious as ever.