Alleycat's - Food & Service

The recently-opened Alleycat’s is located on at #6 B1 Lishui Street (just off of Xinyi Road, between Jinshan South Road and Xinsheng South Road), Taipei. The telephone number is 2321-8949. They’re open 'til 11:00 pm on weekdays, but they’re closed on Mondays. Alleycat’s is owned and operated by Forumosa’s very own Alleycat. Alleycat’s is also a sponsor of Forumosa :notworthy: , so if you first heard about Alleycat’s here at Forumosa, be sure to tell the boss!

Okay. The word is that Alley Cat’s new restaurant is… in Fred Smith’s humble opinion…

A GREAT SUCCESS!!!

First, of all, Alley Cat is a very generous and hospitable host.

Second, Alley Cat is very meticulous when it comes to food preparation and this has won nasty Fred’s heart BIG TIME.

Despite having numerous people and throngs, Alley Cat’s attention to his pizza making and Caesar salads was exemplary. I noticed that the consistency of the dressing was perfect and this is no easy feat. First, it can be too runny, too creamy, too salty, too globby. This was PERFECT. I did not eat the pizza since I refuse to eat standing up and it was standing room only at this popularly attended event. The decor was simple, but bright and cheery and the music perfect to the mood. I think that I would compare this not with places like Citizen Kane which have lots of rough spots along with some tasty food but this is the Left Bank version or that would be the Rive Gauche version of Cosi a Cosi. It is that good. I give this place two thumbs up with the only condition that it was the first night. Now normally the first night at restaurants is a disaster so obviously alley cat can think ahead and plan for eventualities. So if the normal first night which is questionable at most places was this good, I am very confident that this place is going to be a winner. Now, again, this is the first night but normally places like this are… rough but Alley Cat did a phenomenal job and I was totally seduced by this place.

Great job Alley Cat.

frederick p. smith v.

Yup. Fantastic night. The four-cheese pizza was perfection. Kudos and guanxi to ya. We’ll be back.

Thanks alleycat. Great job!
The pizzas were yummy, gooey and floppy, as they should be. And the salads were unique and tasty. I loved the soup, too, especially with the garlic bread.
I think you may have opened Taipei’s first pizza pub, given the atmosphere. I suggest red and white checked table cloths and adorning your ceiling with plastic grapevines, setting chianti bottles with candles in them on the tables, and playing Giuseppe Di Stefano, Mario Lanza, and Beniamino Gigli songs. :slight_smile:

You’ll see me again for sure. Your pizza is damned good. Hats off to you and your team.

Let me be another voice to add to the chorus singing the praises of Alleycat’s. It was a crowded night, but Alleycat and his staff handled everything well. All the food was great, and the Hoegaarden (sp. ?) on tap was a treat.

I look forward to returning later this week or the next for a full sit-down meal, along with more of the Hoegaardens, of course.

Once again, thanks again for a fun night out, and all the best to Alleycat’s.

Great party guys! The food was great. We’ll be back…Hope to see Luna next time!

We have pictures, please pm me with your new email address!

Steve and Sasha

I have to say, from the time I sat down in the room decorated in the same colors as the card, you had me hooked. The red and black surfaces with subtle lighting provided a textured atmosphere along with that cool jazz playing in the ackground at the perfect level: not so loud that you can’t talk, but not so soft that you can’t just lean back and appreciate it. I have to say, that is the best Caesar salad I have had in a long time and the soup was superb. And putting feta on the quattro formaggio pizza…I’m drooling from the memory! And the wine a nice light, fruity white… you definitely have found a customer in me.
Have you thought about a icon for your menu? I am seeing a red background with the silhouettes of a skinny black cat sitting tall in the right-hand corner under a black print of “Alleycat’s”…

Definitely **** out of **** for the food and the atmosphere!

Props goes out to alleycat. pizza was dripping good, and I honestly have not had such good salad in awhile.

can’t wait to try out the rest of the menu. shepherd’s pie, here I come.

thanks to mr and mrs a-cat.

ps is it me or did poagao kinda look like edward norton.

Is the tomato paste in the pizza definitely vegetarian?

Yes, Omni. I make it myself.

Also, reminder. today we have macaroni and cheese, veg and with bacon.

Our Website now has a map and taxi directions: alleycatstaipei.com/map.htm

Looking forward to seeing you on Thursday,

Alley

I probably have some difficulties being objective here :wink:

Anyway, I LOVED the opening night. Seeing lots of my favorite Forumosans some of which I hadn’t seen in a while was great. The food was superb, especially the soup, and I had a really good time.

Went back yesterday to enjoy some shepherd’s pie, a dish I hadn’t heard of before I came to Taiwan. It will definitely make it into my repertoire if I ever start cooking :wink:. Gosh, how I miss mashed potatoes. Is there any way that I get more of those next time? :wink:

After two years in Taipei, I’ve finally found a place close to work, with great food and where I can always be sure to know at least one person if I decide to take a detour from my usual way home after work :wink:

See you guys tonight
Iris

Iris,

I agree… I went to Alleycat’s last night with my boy and we had a salad each and split a pizza. My boy raved about the salad and ate most of the pizza. We took a salad home to my wife and she too thought it was excellent.

Alleycat’s is a great place and Alleycat is a fantastic cook.

Highly recommend visiting this place if you haven’t already. If you have, then you’ll no doubt be visiting again.

have to give my compliments to the chef.

shepherds pie is everything i imagined it to be. bravo.

hope to be back for more. this is starting to feel like a Cheers type place for the forumosa crowd. haha.

So far I’ve had the Shepherd’s Pie, several varieties of pizza, salads and other snacks, and every single thing I’ve had has been delicious and well prepared. The crowd for Happy Hour seemed much more managable and the place much more comfortable this time around. Good job.

Fantastic pizza, Alleycat, wish I lived closer! Are you doing take-out, or intending to?

Had a great time last night and thanks for Alleycat and his team putting up with us beyond his normal opening hours.
Loved the Sheperd’s Pie and of course the pizzas (our table shared a couple), all at reasonable prices. Highly recommended!

I ate a whole ten inch pizza with Italian sausage and mushrooms in like two seconds, it was so good. Then I drank five pints of Hoegarten, which is almost a gallon. I only had a slight headache this morning. Five stars for the pizza.

Great pizza again last night Alley Cat.

Don’t worry about not making it last night Mesheel. I stayed twice as long to make up for the fact that you did not come. Oh what a joy to face work this morning but the place is so fun and welcoming that it really is hard to tear oneself away from. Looking forward to many repeat visits.