Alternative and fun exercise/activities -- Taipei or Taiyuan?

Anyone got any suggestions?

I want a weekend activity to get a bit more active. I have/was semi-regularly doing archery and bowling, but I am bored, so want a different activity to try.

I was considering trying indoor rock climbing–has anyone done that here? Most seem to be aimed at kids though from what I can tell.

Hiking is out because walking hurts my knees–weirdly, other activities don’t (bowling, cycling, archery–even though it involves standing, my knees are fine. But walking–even walking through Taipei just hurts my knees. Maybe it’s my posture.

But any suggestions for activities would be great.

2 Likes

Board games. Exercise for your mind.

1 Like

Some options (You can search for 攀岩場 , there are some local sport centers that also have indoor rock climbing for adults)

1 Like

Have you tried playing games on your phone while sitting in a car with engine running parked next to a park? Very popular activity among local middle-aged guys.

9 Likes

Climbing gyms are a great place to take kids. It teaches them problem-solving skills, balance and not to fear heights, and is a very good strength workout. Or just go with a friend. It’s fun to share strategies for different climbing routes, and the vibe is very friendly, positive. The Taipei City gyms are a lot less expensive than the private gyms, which often run NT$300+ per session. Last month I visited Little Rock in Neihu, near the Science Park, and its clientele is mostly 20 - 30+ yr olds, pretty evenly split between men and women. The Little Rock小岩館-內湖店

2 Likes

I recommend going to a park and stealing qi from a tree. Very refreshing.

11 Likes

That one sounds good. Can you just turn up and get a session? Or need to book?

3 Likes

I used to see a group of these weirdoes occupying the science museum park in Taichung on weekends. They would enter the park and proceed to spread out individually and rub themselves against every large rock and tree in the place. Really fuckin annoying. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

The trees should get all their qi back…with interest!

2 Likes

How about booking appointments with people who can solve the knee problem? Acupuncture, orthopedics, physical therapists…

Or activities that might help the knees. I’m thinking yoga, pilates, or stretching…

Maybe it’s worth looking into. But I think it is genetic–my brother has had bad knees for years with no luck from the doctor. My mum too, and my granddad. It’s joint, rather than muscles.

I just get it when I walk for a long time. And I am sure it is my shit posture or carrying a bag with a bottle of water and a book everywhere with me dragging on a shoulder which sets it off.

I just walked in, and I don’t know if they even take reservations. It was a weekday evening, and there were about ten people there. It’s a small place, not nearly as big as the Neihu public gym about two blocks away. There’s also a Little Rock in Tienmu. The Little Rock 小岩館-天母店, Taipei - BnB

Hiking? Taiwan has amazing places to hike. from aunty friendly trails to hardcore might not come back type mountians. the nice thing with hiking is every time is different, impossible to get bored if one pays attention. quadrillions if different aspects and sights every meter :smiley: and suited for every activity level. plus it helps knees gain natural health through exposure. better than a shot anyday!

Ive always wondered why? So why they do that

I have never enjoyed hiking in Taiwan because the vast majority of them are up endless steps. I can’t be arsed with that. Whenever I’ve tried, I’ve been fed up with the steps so haven’t enjoyed the actual hike because I’m grumbling to myself about the steps.

I miss, a nice, pleasant and flat trail like the ones I used to go on near where I grew up in England. Taiwan it’s all steps, or, doubles as a cycling trail so I might as well cycle instead.

As someone who doesn’t really hike, what would this be opposed to?

hills. taiwan is a mountainous country for sure. Gets your body in shape right quick. I dislike steps too, means more lazy people and their trash. loads of trails with no steps though. Flat is tricky here. if it is flat, there is usually concrete.

Holy hell I’m one of those sometimes.

But only because I’m waiting to get laid.

I have a huge bulleted list of alternative activities but I’ll have to narrow it down before putting up here