Alternative Books for English Teachers

I know there are already threads about the best text book, dictionary, etc. In this thread please post about books that are some how related to English teaching, but can be read for entertainment (I know some people read the dictionary for entertainment, but…). Fiction and non-fiction are both OK. Here are my suggestions:

Angry Young Spaceman
by Jim Munroe

Written as science fiction this book tells the story of a young man who sets off to another planet to teach English. It is extraordinarily funny. There are many experiences that those who have come to Taiwan to teach English will identify with.

Mother Tongue
by Bill Bryson

Well known for his travel books, in this book Bill Bryson explores the English language. This book has thousands of interesting anecdotes with which you can impress your fellow teachers.

Teaching as a Subversive Activity by Neil Postman

Lots of unusual perspectives on teaching and education. Try it.

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Funny stuff. A great section on his attempts to learn French in France.

‘I Won’t Learn From You’ and Other Thoughts on Creative Maladjustment by Herbert Kohl

Ever wonder why your students don’t learn what you teach them? This might give you an idea. Intriguing, although I liked the first part of the book better than the second half. Also try his book 36 Children.