Alternative Service in Taiwan for U.S. Citizen (born in taiwan)

Hi everyone,

I am planning to move back to Taiwan this September to work in the restaurant industry. My dad’s friend owns a hot pot restaurant in Taipei that my family would like to franchise (called Orange). Problem is, I have the conscription law to deal with because I was born in Taiwan. I came to America when I was 5 and I became a U.S. citizen when I was 12.

What are the chances that I will get enlisted? I read they are planning to reduce the # of draftees right now. Also, if I do get enlisted, how do I get into alternative service?

I read some info on alternative service on teaching English but is it possible to do it while I am working? I would appreciate more info on alternative service and what it entails.

Thanks!

P.S. By the looks of this Taiwan military recruitment commercial they don’t even need humans to enlist anymore. :ohreally:

youtube.com/watch?v=IXxwq4J5 … playnext=2

I don’t know anything about it, but here are a couple of threads on it:

Well first off, how old are you?

No. When you enlist, you are actually stationed somewhere. This isn’t some part-time bs. And if you choose the English teaching service, you WILL be sent off to some far-off remote place in Taiwan.

So unless you can work on your hot pot stuff through telecommuting then forget about working and serving at the same time.

100% if you don’t follow the rules!

First, read this site: rocguide.blogspot.com/ for some general info. It was created by one of the members here.

Then, contact both TECO in the US and OCAC in Taiwan.

Talk and confirm your information with both departments because sometimes you’ll get conflicting answers so you’ll need to follow-up with multiple people sometimes.