Alternative suggestions

I’m having problems with XP. After I reinstall, I want to set up a working copy on my machine with Partitioning Software.

Any suggestions for this? substitutes?

I tried to buy partition magic 8.0 to no avail so far. It’s only available in Chinese. I am not brave enough to install a chinese system just for that!

Kenneth

BTW, Ranish is a little daunting!

Kenneth

I’m not quite sure what you want to do but is seems that Symantec Ghost will do what you want. It allows you to create and save an image of your HDD so that you can restore it.

I just used Norton Ghost 2003 to clone my old hdd over to a new one.

Okay, this is a little different but it’s XP related. I want to install my scanner (Microtek 4700 if it matters) and I tried to download the driver off the microtek site but it’s telling me that it’s not “digitally signed” (I’m trying to remember everything, so sorry if I get the terminology all jumbled), and warns me that I might have trouble with my computer if I download something that is not Microsoft-approved… or something like that.

I really need my scanner. :frowning:

[quote=“braxtonhicks”]Okay, this is a little different but it’s XP related. I want to install my scanner (Microtek 4700 if it matters) and I tried to download the driver off the microtek site but it’s telling me that it’s not “digitally signed” (I’m trying to remember everything, so sorry if I get the terminology all jumbled), and warns me that I might have trouble with my computer if I download something that is not Microsoft-approved… or something like that.

I really need my scanner. :-([/quote]This is no problem, it just means it’s not-microsoft approved (yet), doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with it. As long as it’s Microtek approved you’ll be ok :stuck_out_tongue: You can just ignore the message and install it anyway.

Okay, big fluffy matthew, I’m going to take your word for it. Crossing my fingers and toes…

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]I tried to buy partition magic 8.0 to no avail so far. It’s only available in Chinese. I am not brave enough to install a Chinese system just for that!
[/quote]

You can buy the downloadable english version directly from powerquest.com/

As for alternatives, System Commander includes a partitioning program that’s fairly decent, and runs before OS boot, so you have less problems moving things around.

You may also need Boot Magic if you want to boot from multiple operating systems, and I experienced several serious crashes running BootMagic with XP.

Bottom line: I wouldn’t buy it without trialling it first (demo or otherwise).