Alternatives for looking for a FLAT

OK, so I’ve been around for a while and the best website I know for looking for reasonably (ha…!) priced flats is this one: https://rent.591.com.tw , and not those other websites focused on newcomers or super rich expats.

I was wondering if there’s any EASY alternative to that. I mean, I know that my neighbourbood has some boards distributed here and there where people advertise their shit and some of their shit is flats. However, this is not really an option for me since the stubborn population here keeps using Chinese for these things. Also there aren’t pictures on these boards.

Any suggestions apart from the obvious one (to learn Chinese)?

Much appreciated.

Jesus Fuckin’ Kennedy. Who’s the moron who use this website?

Using the map might simplify things

https://rent.591.com.tw/map-index.html

You can pick your desired district, and then use the buttons at top to filter. Look at the pictures and call the tel number

Thanks, I was aware of that function.

Your local co-workers.

You’re telling me that Taiwanese know and use the web I linked?

You can try real estate agencies. Go stand outside their windows and look at the listings for homes to buy. After 5 to 10 min, an agent should come out to talk to you. Ask them if they have anything to rent. You could also just walk inside and ask. But the waiting outside part gives them a chance to do rock, paper scissors to see who gets to go try out their English with the foreigner outside. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

that was a reply to this sentence.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, ok.

It’s an option. Well, not sure if I want to do that… it would be an abuse!

It seems better to ask everyone you know in the Office/friends etc. and maybe look around areas you like , noting the banners displayed on buildings,for private rentals.

1 Like

Taiwan needs to be more visitor-friendly like other major cities where youcan show up and do an Airbnb type situation where you don’t need to put down a couple months rent and get into the major contacts or lease or connections. You just pay for a month or pay as you go.

1 Like

I travel a lot to other cities in the world and rent a flat for 3 weeks or 6 weeks no problem but in Taiwan either have the choice of a hotel or a choice of a contract for a year or something.

Kind of sucks and limits visitors.

2 Likes

You can use Air BnB in Taiwan too.

Another tip:

Find a building you like. Go inside and ask the guards if they know of anyone in the building who wants to rent. The guards wont know details, but they can give your number / email to landlords.

3 Likes

And, the number should be someone’s who speaks Chinese.

There’s Airbnb here.

1 Like

There is airbnb but anything longer than a month is just tough to find in Taiwan…I looked into it a few years ago when my kids werent in school yet and it was all ‘year long leases’ when all I wanted was two or three months in some town or city on the east coast.

Would you guys really use AirBnB for something longer than a couple of days? do they have competitive prices?

They often do 20% discount for stays longer than 30 days. I do it all the time. Furnished. Easy. Convenience costs though.