Alternatives to Facebook?

interesting.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/ptech/02/16/facebook.speech.ruling/index.html

Wretch is still used for some purpose but Taiwanese switched in masse to Facebook (The last report Iā€™ve written about that when I was working at Ogilvy showed something like +400% in less than a years, it was in June 2009).

Facebook is not useless nor ā€œessentialā€, it depends how you use it. Some people use it for job purpose (networking, some to keep contact with friends in their native countries (my main purpose)ā€¦etc The thing is that with 400+ millions user all around the world, itā€™s pretty useless to use other competitors (Friendster, Hi5, Orkut).

Twitter and LinkedIn are IMO essential, I got hired and had really nice opportunities through these networks.

Weā€™re always accepting new members at MYFaeces. Weā€™ve got the shit, man.

fwiw, imo - fb, li, twitter, buzz are the best news aggregators you can get. there is so much noise on rss readers and having articles vetted by my friends/follows is huge value.

other than retweets and tagging, the @ function of twitter and fb is probably one of the most powerful social functionality of anything to date, live world or virtual.

from a business perspective, the value of virality, inbound marketing and the info on the social graph is pretty obvious.

obv, network effect here virtually makes this a winner-take-all market, so those who donā€™t like fb may be out of luck - there likely wonā€™t be another option as worthwhile for awhile.

best alternative to facebook is actually Talking to People. You know, where you can see them smile, and stuff. Real stuff.

do you have the url for this Talking to People site? howā€™s it apps? killer or not?

Thereā€™s no URL, just an IRL

I have a lifeā€¦I donā€™t need Shitbook.

I have Fickle, Twitter and my blogā€¦

Where can you meet pplā€¦ummmā€¦itā€™s called the pubā€¦

Shitbook is for losersā€¦IMHO

whats fickle?

[quote=ā€œdigiboyā€]I have a lifeā€¦I donā€™t need Shitbook.

I have Fickle, Twitter and my blogā€¦

Where can you meet pplā€¦ummmā€¦itā€™s called the pubā€¦

Shitbook is for losersā€¦IMHO[/quote]

a pretty good number of tweets end up swallowed into facebook or buzz where the comment threads stay in those networks, so youā€™re potentially missing out on discussion on threads that you might care about. moreover, with friends spread all over the work, fb is a great aggregator. then again, if one doesnā€™t value the opinion of their fb friends, maybe they should find some new friends. :slight_smile:

There is popular website where you can find the alternatives of each and every popular platform or software. The name of the website is TopBestAlternative.

Iā€™ve heard about that site. Itā€™s part of Facebook/Instagram/Twitter right?

You donā€™t see this in English much, but a lot of Taiwanese people use Line groups. Thereā€™s plenty of garbage there too, but itā€™s definitely local.

LINE app

There is am alternative LINE Lite app with basic features that is not ad infested.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.linecorp.linelite&hl=en

Line is not local. Itā€™s Japanese and itā€™s pure trash.

1 Like

My lord such strong feelings about Line. Did someone on there hurt your feelings or something?

I meant ā€œlocalā€ in the sense that a lot of local people use it. There are Line groups for everything from my apartment building to the village/district I live in.

1 Like

Signal and telegram!

I live an FB free life!

1 Like