Alternatives to teaching English

Hi everyone!
Looking for some specific answers, not trying to gripe about how tiresome teaching English is (though I guess I just did :slight_smile:

1. Does anyone know WHAT or HOW to obtain “proof of exam eligibility” as mentioned here in Article 10? [https://wwwc.moex.gov.tw/english/content/wfrmContent.aspx?menu_id=3333]
    Any other advice on how to become a tour guide from someone who HAS done it?

2. Has anyone done any training to become a guide to do diving/snorkeling tours? If so, where did you do it, how much did it cost and how long was the training? (Before I get told how hard this is, I’ve been open water diving since I was 12 and snorkeling since 8, though I’m sure some of you have been doing it since you were born, and that’s cool, but not what I need to know :slight_smile:
    TIA!!!

It depends on your eligibility.

1.Persons who have graduated and hold a diploma from public or registered private high schools or vocational high schools;

For this, your diploma or certificate issued by a school you graduated from. It may need to be authenticated by TECO if it is issued in a foreign country.

1 Like

Some friends worked as tour guide and others as diving instructors in Australia.
I will just list some negative aspects of the jobs. As it is not all so easy and enjoyable all the time. Just a reality check.

Tour guide can be actually similar to teaching English. Some tourists are like entitled little kids. Some can be rude or behave like idiots just because nobody knows them and will probably never see them again. And if you put them in line, those jerks will complain to your company how badly they were treated by the tour guide!
You need to be entertaining and happy every day, no matter how your real mood is.

Diving tour guide will require qualifications. Mostly people without diving experience want a tour. People with diving licenses mostly know what to do without a guide.
That means you need to be a fully qualified diving instructor. The cost to acquire those licenses is quite high.
The job can be stressful. You will be looking after a bunch of newbs and try to keep them from panicking and drowning.
Diving can be quite exhausting. Doing it daily for the job requires you to be in good health.

Thanks? For the really discouraging advice, which is NOT what was asked for…
Has anyone done any training to become a guide to do diving/snorkeling tours? If so, where did you do it, how much did it cost and how long was the training? (Before I get told how hard this is, I’ve been open water diving since I was 12 and snorkeling since 8, though I’m sure some of you have been doing it since you were born, and that’s cool, but not what I need to know :slight_smile:
TIA!!!

I did not mean to discourage you. But those are jobs that can be stressful too.
I wanted to point that out since you think being a teacher is tiring.
Imagine you do all the training and later end up not being happy, feeling being in a similar situation as before.

I could tell you how easy it is and you basically go diving being paid.
That will do you no favor.

1 Like

Thanks for your opinion, but you know what they say about them. Opinions are like a**holes, and most of them stink.
Name a job that ISN’T stressful, as they all are.:roll_eyes: Anyway, this conversation is done.

My friends working those jobs for years, what do they know? It’s just their opinions.
In a few years you can come back here and post how wrong I was, or not.

You will need

https://www.taiwan-diving.com/idc

You can inquire about the cost at many diving centers around Taiwan. All information is in the link.

You are looking at an investment of more than 100k TWD, additionally more for your own gear.

2 Likes

you may need to check this is.

Regulations Governing Water Recreation Activities

Section 2: Diving Activity

Especially Article 19.

2 Likes

I wonder if there are any rules or regulations for becoming a fortune teller.

You can inquire @discobot about that.

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Give this crew a shout, they are probably in a better position to answer your questions.

https://www.taiwan-diving.com

2 Likes

I know not to bother responding to you since you give that attitude to somebody giving real deal advice…

4 Likes

I’ve been diving since I was in the womb. It’s a tough racket, you’re best out of it.

3 Likes

Thanks!!
Bc Im not really looking to be given reasons NOT to do it, as was stated. I was given what I asked for after that comment, so, I’m good. Thanks anyway!

People on this site tend to give their opinions no one asked for. Whats up with that?:roll_eyes:

That is so not true. Yer weightless in the water. Hardest part is falling off and climbing back in the boat.

They are people. Anonymous for the most part. What did you expect? Customer Service? :roll:

2 Likes

Please tell us the exact opinions you want to hear so we can do better next time, Master.

1 Like

Must be quite existing spot to stay in place your whole dive. No gear, must be that aqua man from the movie.