Alternatives to Teaching

Life after teaching is …

• … leaving this place with your pockets stuffed with cash!
  • … marriage and your own school!
  • … an editting job with one of the English dailies everyone likes to slag!
  • … flying to Shanghai and hoping someone will think being a bilingual Western guy/gal is a career qualification!
  • … doing piecework translation and learning to live on NT$20k a month!
  • … a myth; you just go on teaching and teaching because you (a) really do love it or (b) are not good for anything else anymore!

0 voters

I was reading the thread on the possibility of buxibans being shut down and caught myself hoping that they (well, at least mine) would be – a sure sign that after only three months of part-time work I’ve had about enough. Okay, I like teaching but I’m bored and want to move on. What other options are out there?

I want to be in Taiwan to learn Chinese and will stay for another year and a bit, am not interested in getting married and starting my own business, don’t have a tech background but do have a useless Arts BA and decent Mandarin. Any suggestions? (I don’t have any great financial ambitions. NT$50000 a month would suit me fine.)

00 Wrote:

[quote]
Life after teaching is …
… leaving this place with your pockets stuffed with cash!
… marriage and your own school!
… an editting job with one of the English dailies everyone likes to slag!
… flying to Shanghai and hoping someone will think being a bilingual Western guy/gal is a career qualification!
… doing piecework translation and learning to live on NT$20k a month!
… a myth; you just go on teaching and teaching because you (a) really do love it or (b) are not good for anything else anymore! [/quote]

Stick to “teaching” if you can’t spell “editing.” Or better still, go home.

Based on your message, you are not committed to your job, don’t plan to stay around for more than a year and a bit, don’t have any notable abilities and want 160% of a Taiwanese graduate’s starting salary.

I’m sure there’s a lot more to you than that. Ask the question in reverse. What can you do for an employer that would be worth 50K a month to them? Unless you can come up with an answer, you haven’t got many options. But you could certainly teach.

My engineers (fresh gradutates) are paid around NT$35,000 a month. Just to give you some perspective.

Probably own my own business. When you live in Taiwan, you will find a good niche to explore.

NT$50k should be possible, depending on what you want to do. I know of people working in local companies making around that amount just for sitting in the office and make it look international. NT$60k seems to be normal for marketing (read editing) positions in local firms.

About 12-13 years ago I knew a couple of American guys who were working as prostitutes/gigolos. They said the pay was good but the women were always getting them drunk. :wink:

That story was in the China Post some 8 years ago. Poor guy, the owner of the bar never paid up.

Thanks to Mr. He, Rascal and Blueface for the helpful advice – though I think I’ll pass on the gigolo gig, thanks. A big rotten fish to Alleycay for forgetting that this is a bulletin board and that pointing out typos is lame. As for Salmon … eGads! Give me a break. I asked an honest question as a fresh graduate in Taiwan. I may well have some misconceptions about my job prospects here but you could have at least been a bit more polite.

You’re quite right that I don’t plan to teach for any length of time but that doesn’t belie the fact that I’m committed to the short-term position, for which I was hired on the basis of an honest disclosure of my experience and intended duration of stay, and at which I work conscientiously.

As for salary, while I’m aware of what local graduates make, I do expect to make more. Not because I am a foreigner or take myself to be above my local equivalent or other such nonsense but for the simple fact that in the Taiwan market job-seekers with the equivalent of my abilities are still quite rare: However meagre a qualification my Arts BA may be, in Taiwan the ability to function in English is a major job qualification whatever your nationality. Now, no doubt the majority of employers are not going to think a native English speaker with mediocre Mandarin and a foreign perspective is worth more than an otherwise equally qualified local with fluent English, native Mandarin and the ability to seamlessly conform to local business practices; hence my question: What fields do require or prefer native English speakers and in what capacities?

I understand, given a lack of qualifications beyond my BA and English the, that my list of opportunities is going to be limited (to editing or translation work of one stripe or another); but I’d still like to know what others have found out there and how they went about making the switch from English teaching to another field. Is anyone employed, for example, in a human rights related position or as a research assistant in the humanities? In publishing? For those in marketing, what have your experiences been? Etc.

As for salary, again, my apologies if listers find my thinking NT$50k to be indicative of no real financial ambitions is some sort of slight on locals or anyone else making less. I say this only in the understanding that there are non-teaching jobs available for Arts graduates with native English, good Mandarin, some editing and translation experience in the Taiwanese market, and not a heck of a lot else, and that these positions typically begin at about NT$50k. Likewise, while I accept that most companies would prefer to hire long-term employees, I still believe that there must be short-term positions available, in part because I don’t think I am uncommon in intending to stay for only a year or so, and moreso because of the project-centered nature of a lot of editing and translation work. Now, I may be wrong here; if so, polite advice is welcome.

The secret is not to reveal that you are in for the short term only. I hnow foreigners here, who have become stock brokers, consultants, global sales executives at local firms, started their own (non-english teaching/translating/editing related) business etc.

Most work permits are 2 year ones, so that’s the time you should settle in for.