Am I being lowballed on the salary? ☹️

Sometimes I think about I might miss that soul and charm as I walk straight at incoming traffic cuz there’s no sidewalk. Or as I walk along a sidewalk and then there’s a wall in front of me cuz someone wanted to extend their private, tax-paying space into the public space so that I would have to trip over a bunch of parked scooters and walk into traffic so I could continue walking. And then I think about the parents pushing their babies in strollers and everyone with a mobility disability and just my general safety (and I guess the safety of others :wink: ) and I decide that there’s no need for the charm.

6 Likes

Sounds like you should start studying to become a city planner. You’ve got a lot of work ahead of you. :smiley:

1 Like

Social engineering would be more relevant: the loudest constituencies and legislators are all okay with the soul and charm, otherwise it would be different. :wink:

How was your experience with that agency?

I am with you… mostly. Look, 70% of Taipei is made of those horrendous gastly and hastily built gongwus. They are falling apart and no one gives them any maintenance because the land or the air rights they stand on are worth gazillion zillion.

I went back to the old area where I lived when I first arrived in Taiwan. What has changed is they got rid of the beautiful one floor old Japanese houses, and the few standing ones should not be. The creepy gongwus and semi commercial buildings are still standing by sheer force of will, ugly, dark and impractical. Some new, fragile looking newly built buildings are crammed in small alleys.

This town needs an edema.

2 Likes

enema?

1 Like

Enema.

Edema is swelling, which we already have.

2 Likes

I’ve actually been using elegant and another (nangoroc is not business approved anymore) but they’re okay. Yes there’s a mark up but there’s no way around it really.

Managed to find a few gems but you do have to be patient to find those

i can just imagine you in a sweet little maid’s uniform!

ooh, have to stop now…

1 Like

Edemame …the beans

1 Like

Hahah yeah been searching for a few weeks and I get your point. I did find a nice one in section 2 minquan road in Zhongshan. It’s not super close to linsen road but I heard it’s in the area. The apartment is super nice tho and ticks a lot of boxes including being 20 minute walk from my office. The location however I’m not sure, do you know the area well? Any crime other than massages I should be aware of? Would be cool to hear your thoughts :grimacing:

No crime, just could be a little bit seedy at night.

Wow!! What kind of engineer are you???
Are you in Oil and Gas industry isn’t??

so are you industrial engineer???
Could you, kindly, asked your company if they are looking for civil engineer positions???
I would accept those conditions without doubt haha

Well as I have said before that whole area has been gentrified. Closer to the arts museum is a lot safer, down by Chang an road and Nanjing things can get… Ugly from shootings to drunk brawls.

In the end, trust your gut.

Release Engineer here, Also I can code in any computer language, I can debug anything, and I’m a UNIX GURU!

Forgot to say, I’m very cheap too :slight_smile:

1 Like

^ This. There are a few factors that need to be considered. As soon as you pass the 100k threshold and you work for a public company, your salary needs to be justified to the board (especially annoying if you are not a senior manager or higher). Classifying the rest as housing expenses is both easier to justify (due to relocation) and can also bring tax benefits to the company.

Now, the problem comes if you need to provide receipts and prove you spent that money on housing expenses (in order for the company to get benefits via tax deductions) or if they just give you the 82k in your bank account no questions asked.

Personally, I receive almost a third of my salary in the form of bonuses and others monthly in order to avoid the board explanation and bs. It all depends on the company policies and other things related to being a publicly-traded company.

So it sounds like you may have a monthly wage of 40,000 a month but your real earning is much higher because of bonuses?

What’s in Linsen Road?

Culture

1 Like

Culture