Am I here legally?

I just found the last visa I got from Belgium … the one I changed to a resident visa … then ARC …

But, you needed the ARC to apply for a ‘work permit’, which was a paper form back than … now no need, just show your ARC as spouse of a Taiwanese citizen.

I wouldn’t know, because I started working in January… I’ll have my girlfriend ask with me, though, tomorrow.[/quote]Well, then…you should be ok.

1. You are here legally on a Visitor’s Visa which hasn’t expired.
  2. You have a work permit which allows you to work.
  3. You have no declared income for 2010, so no need to file a tax return this year.

So, we’ve successfully answered your OP. Are you here legally? Yes. Are you working legally. Apparently, yes.

About the only thing that I think might be amiss is that you probably should have converted your Visitor’s Visa to a Resident Visa once you got your work permit and started working and then took that Resident Visa to the NIA and gotten yourself an employment based ARC.

Will you get in trouble for not doing this last little thingy? Shrug…I have no idea. :ponder:[/quote]

That is the question. I’ll find out tomorrow. If I ask at the Immigration Office, you think they’ll throw me in cuffs on the spot?

I’m really stressing out about this. My boss is being really supportive and giving me the original work permit. Then I’m going to bring it in and calmly explain that my visitor’s visa has been extended until July 14th, and I intend to apply for an ARC, but I simply didn’t know I needed to rush it. I will also explain that my girlfriend, who will be present with me, and I are getting married in June and thought we could use that as the qualifier for my ARC (until we just now realized how strenuous the process is). Hopefully they’ll have pity on us.

[quote=“dashgalaxy86”]That is the question. I’ll find out tomorrow. If I ask at the Immigration Office, you think they’ll throw me in cuffs on the spot?[/quote]No. Worst case scenario, a fine.

[quote=“dashgalaxy86”]I’m really stressing out about this. My boss is being really supportive and giving me the original work permit. Then I’m going to bring it in and calmly explain that my visitor’s visa has been extended until July 14th, and I intend to apply for an ARC, but I simply didn’t know I needed to rush it. I will also explain that my girlfriend, who will be present with me, and I are getting married in June and thought we could use that as the qualifier for my ARC (until we just now realized how strenuous the process is). Hopefully they’ll have pity on us.[/quote]Well, you still won’t be able to get an employment based ARC, yet. First, you’re going to have to use your work-permit to apply for and change your Visitor Visa to a Resident Visa and then take the Resident Visa to the NIA and have them issue you an employment ARC based on the new Resident Visa. (unless things have changed, and I don’t really know about this shit anymore) :blush:

But, going to the NIA to straighten all this out and get some directives from the “horse’s mouth” (ass) first is a good idea. I’ll send some positive mental energy your way tomorrow and all will work out. You’ll see.

Thanks, my fiancée and I are about to head out in a few minutes and see what they say. The process there still seems to be the same (visitor visa to reisdent visa to ARC). The complicated thing is that I actually am quitting this job in a month or so for a new job that pays twice as much and is at a very famous school. So it’d be really stupid to get a work ARC right now. I think I’ll just say “is it OK if I don’t apply today?” and tell my boss I have to quit as soon as they can replace me. Luckily I have some friends eager to take my spot.

EDIT: You don’t need an ARC as long as you have a work permit, so I’m here legally and working legally. Of course it’s wise to apply for an ARC for the additional rights and privileges, but for working at a cram school alone, that is not a requirement at this time. Just talked to immigration and CLA about it.