Am I qualified?

Hi! Guys. Help me! I am probably sick to the core as i have to interprete data 9 Hrs a day, 5 and a half days a week. I am a market researcher. I need to move on and do something more interactive with a human touch. I thought of teaching but i have my reservations. Am i suitably qualified?

[b]Firstly, i am not a native speaker. I am from Singapore.

Secondly, even though English is the communication medium for my entire educational history, do i stand a chance? I received my institutional learning in Singapore then Australia when i was doing my undergrad.

Thirdly, i could possibly take up some professional teaching certifications, but will i be overlooked by potential employers since i am not a native speaker?[/b]

Forum members, i thank you guys in advance for taking the time to view my discussion topic as well as contibuting constructive advices.

Cheers!

I am signing off work now. Finally

Forget teaching English. Buy a bar in Batam and I’ll manage it for you. :laughing:

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

You need a passport from the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Ireland, or South Africa to legally be hired in Taiwan as an English teacher. There’s lots of illegal work, though. Since I know one man who, though illiterate, is teaching English here, I’m guessing you will be able to get a job, but it will be harder for you than for a white person.

Stay in Singapore. First see if you really like teaching. Get a teaching certificate and teach in Singapore.

I think the chap’s in Taiwan already!

In any case, yes, you do stand a marvelous chance. Despite you not being a native speaker of English, and having not come from a country which qualifies under Taiwan’s rules as allowing you to obtain a working permit - if you have permanent residential status in Taiwan - then you’ll have no problems whatsoever finding a job.

Sure, there are those schools that want a white man to teach - even though he may be incompetent, uses incorrect grammar and slang all the time - those schools just want his face. Now, if you look for a school that actually values English ability (and the ability to teach well, of course), then you’ll be just fine.

Just make sure you can teach well!!!

I do know for a fact that Singapore’s English education is excellent.

BTW, I am Chinese! But I’m from Canada…

[quote=“shawn_c”]I think the chap’s in Taiwan already!

In any case, yes, you do stand a marvelous chance. Despite you not being a native speaker of English, and having not come from a country which qualifies under Taiwan’s rules as allowing you to obtain a working permit - if you have permanent residential status in Taiwan - then you’ll have no problems whatsoever finding a job.

Sure, there are those schools that want a white man to teach - even though he may be incompetent, uses incorrect grammar and slang all the time - those schools just want his face. Now, if you look for a school that actually values English ability (and the ability to teach well, of course), then you’ll be just fine.

Just make sure you can teach well!!!

I do know for a fact that Singapore’s English education is excellent.

BTW, I am Chinese! But I’m from Canada…[/quote]Thanks! Dear, but i am not in Taiwan yet, though i have worked there previously.