Amazing Race Asia

I’ve never heard of this, not having a TV and all, but apparently it’s very popular.

Teams of two go all around the world picking up clues, completing weird tasks, and generally having a mad time in a bid to be the first to finish. Sounds fun, and now they’re organizing an Asian version. According to the person who told me about this they’ve had to extend the deadline for entries due to poor response - and you have to be legally resident in Asia, not a citizen.

I’m almost tempted to apply, just for the hell of it, but how would I persuade 914 to be my partner?

axn-asia.com/buzzsites/the_a … index.html

I thought about doing it too.

This is one of the few shows I watch on a regular basis. The new season starts this Sunday at 5:00 pm on AXN. Can’t wait.

But about the Asian version, I have a feeling it’ll be like Fear Factor Taiwan, a half-assed attempt to replicate the original. :unamused:

I absolutely love this show! The American one, that is.

I would join, but my wife isn’t really fit to be joining right now. I haven’t actually brought this up with any of my friends because I figured the chances of me getting selected are already pretty low. Dangermouse, you want to create Team Yonghe? :slight_smile:

Better think twice before you sign up Loretta. The Asia version of Fear Factor had women shoulder deep digging shit outta cows’ asses last week. God only knows how they’ll “localise” this show.

Yeesh.

jdsicktohisstomach

Now how did you know I lived in Yong He? I’m not even sure who you are. :s :slight_smile:

Need to send them a video. Too much trouble for me.

[quote=“jdsmith”]Better think twice before you sign up Loretta. The Asia version of Fear Factor had women shoulder deep digging shit outta cows’ asses last week. God only knows how they’ll “localise” this show.

Yeesh.

jdsicktohisstomach[/quote]

I would think that all the problem-solving tasks will be easier, seeing as this skill is not taught here. The physical challenges might also have to reflect the typical fitness levels in Asia. ie everything ‘difficult’ will be manageable by a disabled retard.

After all, everything has to be achievable by the contestants otherwise no-one will get through. Even the ‘approaching random strangers for help’ concept might have to be toned down to reflect the local culture.

The problem might be, as JD put it, that the local producers might have different ideas about what would be fun to have the contestants try. (If they want women up to their shoulders in cowshit I guess I’d better team up with a woman!)

The worst thing for me would be ‘eating weird shit’ challenge. The Chinese will eat things that would make a goat puke, followed by goat in ‘sauce vomir’, so what the hell kind of nastiness could they dream up as a challenge?

I knew someone once who had just applied to be on a new show called ‘Survivor’!! She spent a lot of time listing the reasons why she was suitably skilled and qualified to survive on an island, but didn’t tell them why she would make good TV viewing.

I think I’ll ask Tomas! A couple of studmuffins like us would just wow the selection panel. With that kind of exposure we could start our own religion, like Almas John did a while back.

Pity, if you look like your avatar they’ll be all over you. Sailor too, if I remember correctly, so you can do all that practical manly stuff they’ll be wanting from you. If you had bigger boobs I’d be happy to team up with you! :slight_smile:

In the meantime… free videos! axn-asia.com/buzzsites/the_amazi … video.html

[quote=“Loretta”]The worst thing for me would be ‘eating weird shit’ challenge. The Chinese will eat things that would make a goat puke, followed by goat in ‘sauce vomir’, so what the hell kind of nastiness could they dream up as a challenge?
[/quote]
You’re getting it mixed up with Fear Factor. There are no nasty eats in the Amazing Race (the American version at least), but tasks that are a lot more fun to perform, like treasure hunts, problem solving, and a lot of traveling in various forms of transportation, in a speedy fashion.

Wow, thanks for letting us know about this, Loretta! My friend and I were just thinking about joining this race. Having it set in Asia now makes everything easier. Now a question for everyone: how much of work and study would you be willing to compromise to sign up for a competition like this? As in put everything on hold and do something you’ve been waiting to do for almost your whole life.

Looks like 4-5 weeks at short notice, ‘some time mid-year’ is as much as they say on the website.

I bet there’s a lot of Asians able to give up that sort of time, especially for the US$100,000 prize: 1/10 of the US version.

I doesn’t look like a very good deal actually. I found a news report from Thailand quoting the organisers as saying that they’re hoping to get some big-name sponsorship. So we’ve got few sponsors and minimal prize money that you don’t get until after the show is broadcast - which will be at an unspecified date in the future. Add to the mix a probable paucity of competitors and ask yourself if you’re prepared to fly to an unspecified location in Asia at your own expense, at short notice, for the initial selection.

OK, you may be a great team but will there be enough great teams to get this show off the ground?

They’re looking for people who are going to make good TV. It’s about interpersonal drama, shock, disappointment, conflict, etc. That means the audience has to identify with the contestants. Two whities aren’t going to be interesting, and the %age of Asian people with the time, energy, and adventurousness (is that a word?) to make a go of this is lower than in the west

A white girl with an Asian male sounds like a good proposal, especially if he’s a fireman, artist, surfer or something else interesting. White guy and asian girl? Only if there’s something unique about them. I bet they end up with a bunch of foreign-born Chinese/Indians who look the part but aren’t in the work/school rat race.

I just wish I knew how to drive.

Damn.

I just wish I knew how to drive.

Damn.