Amazing Taiwan Puppet Theater Video

So…I’m just an ordinary foreigner in Taiwan, but I have been lucky enough to have a job that has got me majorly involved in 布袋戲 (aka Potehi, aka Puppet Theater, aka Puppet Anime). I write and produce music for one of the large Puppet Theater producers here (金光布袋戲). My wife and I have a company that does musical scoring and song production, and we’ve been working with Puppet Theater here for almost three years now.

This is the opening credit sequence for the upcoming season of the show. We did the music for it. The animation and puppetry is absolutely incredible. I promise you’ve never seen anything like it.

There are a couple of ads at the beginning. Actual video starts at about 1 minute:

I don’t know what the fuck I just saw but wow, what a great job you have. This is a TV show you are working for? I only know about live puppet theatre as I didn’t have a tv for the last 10 years I was in Taiwan.

Btw, edit the title of this thread to: Amazing Puppet Theatre Video That I Did the Musical Score For!!!

[quote=“Mucha Man”]I don’t know what the fuck I just saw but wow, what a great job you have. This is a TV show you are working for? I only know about live puppet theatre as I didn’t have a tv for the last 10 years I was in Taiwan.

Btw, edit the title of this thread to: Amazing Puppet Theatre Video That I Did the Musical Score For!!![/quote]

Channel12 is dedicated to puppet theater.

Unfortunately here in Malaysia it’s dedicated to UMNO meetings on how to keep Muslim youth from intermarrying.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]I don’t know what the fuck I just saw but wow, what a great job you have. This is a TV show you are working for? I only know about live puppet theatre as I didn’t have a tv for the last 10 years I was in Taiwan.

Btw, edit the title of this thread to: Amazing Puppet Theatre Video That I Did the Musical Score For!!![/quote]

Thanks.

Yeah, it’s a show, but it doesn’t air on TV. The two major Puppet Theater production houses in Taiwan (霹靂 and 金光) distribute through convenience stores. Once a week, they release a 90 minute long episode on DVD and fans of the show purchase it at their nearest 7/11 or FamilyMart (霹靂 distributes through both chains, 金光 only distributes through FamilyMart). Reruns air on TV and digital TV.

My coworkers and I write all the music for 金光, including the score for the show and the theme songs for each season. We also compose for other projects (just finished up a 10 feature-length film mini-series produced in China and airing on CCTV in the next couple of months).

Talking about amazing puppet theater, this video is not so much about the puppets, but the beautiful Taigi reading of Zhuge Liang (諸葛亮)'s famous Chushibiao (出師表).

Since Taigi is Old Chinese overlaid with Middle Chinese, I think it’s probably as close as how Zhuge Liang himself would have read it.