Amazon in Taiwan?

Na there is no Baidu in Taiwan AND there won’t use Baidu, We always uses Google, yahoo… But I don’t know which reason Taiwan doesn’t have, Maybe there is too many stores?? ((Maybe…
And I am a Taiwanese, I buy stuff on costco… etc… So ask Amazon tehn##

That is what my family does, and they take a plane. It is cheaper to buy clothes and appliances in the US.

You could say it si because we do not have teh factories anymore, but all those name brands are produced in Nicaragua, Honduras, Mexico. Protectionism, again, higher tariffs and the ever popular “because the market is too small” are the common excuses there.

Man i wish they would sort out an amazon.tw. yahoo bid is Shite.

What is the shipping times like from amazon japan? (for anyone who has used it) I saw some shoes on there, from a uk brand…which only sells shoes in japan. completely random but amazing looking shoes.

If you spend $60 on the US amazon, you can get free shipping to Taiwan now (but still need to pay whatever customs duties). If you want something shipped over in a couple of days, it’s not even that expensive anymore.

I wouldn’t mind a Taiwan amazon but if they half-ass it like the Australian amazon, I don’t see the point.

So what’s the tariff on shoes, anybody imported branded shoes by Amazon for personal use ?

I just checked, amazon is taking about 15% for tax on shoes to Taiwan. They’ll refund whatever they don’t use but they’re usually pretty accurate.

Thanks

It’s been three years since this reply and I was wondering if Prime tv and films are now easily available in Taiwan?
I’d rather not use a VPN. I have a UK billing address.

I don’t believe that’s true. I often buy $300-$900 worth of goods and have never seen free shipping here. I have Prime, too.

No go for most content. Music works fine, but Spotify is better and you can share a family account with others, which basically makes it free.

I stopped Amazon Prime about 2 yrs ago so cannot comment on the current situation. You might check out this thread from June.

1 Like

No, no change. Music works fine but you have to browse forever to find a show that you’re able to view.

They stopped doing it automatically about a month after I posted it. But you can email them and ask them to remove shipping charges. That’s something the support people are allowed to do, within reason. If you’re ordering every couple of days and do it every time, they may say no.

I’m wondering if laptops are cheaper from Amazon Japan. I know it’s cheaper from the USA but import dues get expensive. Still way cheaper than buying from Taiwan though

Import Duties are calculated by the value, so if the laptop is cheaper, than the import is also cheaper.

Cheers

Ah ok so it doesn’t actually matter how far away it’s being imported from?

Kinda, the shipping fees are calculated into the import tax. However, it must be a real good deal if u want to order from Japan. AFAIK only Amazon USA has free shipping on selected items over 60 USD.

Cheers

2 Likes

Got it! Thanks for the info

So I always buy Christmas and birthday gifts for my grandkids on Amazon, and pay with my Taiwan credit card. Also, in the past I’ve bought MP3s in the same manner.

Now today I just tried buying an MP3 and got the following message:

We were unable to process your purchase with your current payment information. Your payment method must be issued by a bank local to the amazon.com marketplace.

I tried using both a US and Taiwan location as well as shipping address (although that’s not necessary since nothing is being shipped). Does anyone know a way around this? It’s just strange to me that I recently bought toys through Amazon using the same method and there was no problem.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the MP3 (the Harold and Maude soundtrack from 2022) on YouTube Music where I already have a subscription. So screw you Amazon :smile:

2 Likes