America threatening to ban TikTok shows the West's decline

AOC is semi retarded.

She fails to mention that TIKTOK is FORCED to turn over data to the chinese communist party who can control the taps of information.

It all comes down the mental health crisis in America that is strongly attached to social media. This is how young people get their dopamines and this is how they define their life. By social media status. So the most vocal proponents to not banning tiktok are those who would most likely commit suicide if tiktok is banned.

1 Like

Of course they won’t suicide. There are many Apps out there to jump in or you mean like all the Chinese that suicide after Face book was banned and the Taiwanese suicides when Zoom was banned in Taiwan. America should focus on its own issues like homelessness, crack heads, meth heads , but maybe start with small steps like stopping people taking a dump on sidewalks in LA. :joy:

Fox News Digital previously reported that disclosures show ByteDance, TikTok’s Chinese parent company, funneled six-figure contributions to nonprofits aligned with the congressional Black and Hispanic Caucuses. ByteDance donated $150,000 to both the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation and Congressional Hispanic Caucus Foundation in December, its lobbying contribution report shows.

Is this a serious thread?

Freedom of speech is great

The TikTok algorithm is in Beijing and owned by Bytedance. All algorithms from tech companies in China are under the purview of the government

It’s basic national security

It should be a bipartisan issue

And I’m not American

Why should America allow what is now the biggest media source in the country to be under the control of a hostile state?

In world war 2 would the government allow the the main radio station to be under control from the Nazi government

How is this a decline? It’s always been this way

3 Likes

Google, Facebook etc have privacy issues, which is mostly them selling your data to advertisers . This should be regulated

Tiktok is a national security issue. It’s complete different

As Bytedance own the algorithm, it’s easy to just nudge content to create social disorder, promote conspiracies that make American citizens doubt their country or vote for a particular candidate. And it’s not traceable . It’s a potential social disorder creation machine

Yes America maybe in decline for not banning it earlier

1 Like

‘I went on a week-long beach holiday to Nha Trang so you can say I know a fair few things about authoritarianism and the CCP’

1 Like

Just realized that Chinese government is on a pr megaspend to try and milk some support from the TikTok ban

There are going to be a lot of pissed of people that they can try to take advantage of

Why I think it’s a mega spend, because they can even afford to send paid minions to this forum. Imagine they are going overdrive on websites and platforms over the world right now.

1 Like

4th amendment is well and truly ended after 9/11 with the passage of the Patriot Act. The Feds can and will search you without probable cause or warrants, and the law allows them to do so. I have to wonder if this is also why no knock warrants are even allowed.

Blame Republicans for this.

https://www.aclu.org/other/surveillance-under-usapatriot-act

1 Like

What do you mean?

1 Like

The congress hearing was a shit show

They are going to ban TikTok whatever, and for good reasons, but didn’t do a good job.

The CEO has garnered a lot of sympathy and its true that TikTok has 150 million users in the US and peoples who make their livelihood from the app.

The CCP propaganda united front machines sees an opportunity to use this as a smear campaign on the US. You can see voices everywhere popping up to support China and TikTok

The CCP have had 2-3 years of nothing but negative press so are doubling down on the opportunity.

They have big PR agencies on retainer. They have content farms in Malaysia. They have politicians they have lobbied. They have talking heads they give envelopes to. So many avenues and they see this as the big opportunity.

And the budget is so big enough, that they are sending minions far and wide, even to this armpit of Taiwan expattery. See the OP and the other mysterious posters in this thread.

I have a decent idea how they operate.

Is one behind me? :woozy_face:

One behind this thread

That’s just a troll.

They pay trolls.

1 Like

In US dollars?

They can do, through intermediaries

Are you doubting the existence of the United Front in China? They have been doing variations of this since the 60s

Loads of ways to try to control the narrative or create social disarray

In Taiwan it’s everywhere. Every forum, new sites etc

No, as I can simply turn off my computer and go outside.

1 Like

Ok , well China has huge intelligence and propaganda operations all over the world.

This book is good

2 Likes

So does the US and every other industrialized country.

2 Likes