American football player Vontae Davis quits and retire at half time

Vontae Davis of the Bills quits In the middle of the game and retires from the game. I’ve never seen or heard of anything like this in my life.

https://youtu.be/rZtXRu2QdXo

i believe he just signed a one-year deal with the Bills worth 5 million.

Didn’t realize that, that’s a pretty big deal.

2 million guaranteed I believe. And signing bonus.

Plenty of people stuck in jobs they are not passionate about. I wish more bureaucrats would just quit (halfway through the workday, if necessary), instead of sitting around and hating their jobs.

1 Like

It would be great to have enough money to pull a stunt like that.

I did it once working for the Bank of America in London. Literally got up in the middle of a meeting, logged out of my PC and headed home. My boss said to me, “I wasn’t aware the meeting was over” to which I replied “It is for me”. :sunglasses: I was on a plane to Beijing by the end of the week.

But I was on a temp contract so it wasn’t that big of a thing.

2 Likes

The ticket to BJ was booked before or after this half meeting?

I don’t like the way he did it. Could have told his teammates before he checked out. I can understand him being done physically and mentally. But he could have stayed just sitting at the sidelines for that game. Retired after.

But there’s athletes that sign big contracts, like baseball and basketball with guaranteed money that Have just quit but still goes out there half ass.

It happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wwAHjKcKmA

Brad Wiggins very famously did it after he had all but signed for Team Sky but was still at Garmin. Last stage of the Tour de France and he was supposed to be leading out his team’s sprinter on the Champs Élysées. Camera found him at the back of the peloton sipping champagne.

From the players perspective, football contracts are mostly not guaranteed. Teams can cut him anytime and injury is almost a sure thing in the sport with some recent damning evidence of CTE. Maybe don’t do it in the middle of the game. But if you’re not mentally there and not physically capable of playing. It’s not good to be out there.

Also it’s not unheard of team forcing player to retired and take some leadership position mid season. Basically saying retire or we will cut you and get fresh talent. A rod comes to mind for the Yankees when he retired mid season.