American retiree in China needs help with IRS, etc

This inquiry is on behalf of an American friend who lives in China. I’m posting here because I don’t know of any similar China-related forum.

The friend is a recent widow in her 80s. She keeps asking me to look up forms or information from the IRS or SSA, in some cases beyond my ability to help, because I can’t always figure out what she’s talking about. I’m not in China, and she has no American friends in China. I’m thinking maybe she should find a tax accountant who specializes in Americans living in China. Since she’s a retiree, and her only income is Social Security, I don’t think she can afford a high-powered accountant who consults for business executives, etc. Maybe if there were some equivalent of an H&R Block-type outfit, who operates in China, that might work.

Anyone know of any resources that might help an American retiree in China in this situation (or know of a useful forum for this kind of question)? Thanks in advance.

I think the tax situation for Americans is pretty much the same no matter which foreign country they’re in (although whether or not that country has a tax treaty with the U.S. makes a difference). Maybe our resident tax expert @Bree can help?

1 Like

I think I understand your meaning, but there may be a difference in that not all tax accountants serve clients who live in China (or I should say not all of the lower-priced ones). I guess I could look up random providers on the web, but I’d feel more comfortable with a personal recommendation (including not only how well they work, but also that they are reasonably priced for a retiree on Social Security). Having a China phone number is preferred (as the person in question might not want to make overseas calls). I don’t know how to get this kind of information. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn’t recommend the one I used in the past, but I get the feeling @Bree may able to help, or a least steer her in the right direction.

1 Like

Yep! I’ve been helped by Bree, and I’d go to her first.

1 Like

I second that… she helped me get the refund from back in 2017 (you know ones I couldn’t get because I got deported), and she didn’t even ask me for money…

2 Likes

Replying via dm

3 Likes