American scholar says US should abandon Taiwan

http://www.examiner.com/taiwan-policy-in-national/american-scholar-says-united-states-should-consider-abandoning-taiwan-to-china

Actually the word “abandon” is not what I would use in the article, how about “revise US foreign policy towards Taiwan”. That sounds much better. The US should definitely do that.

You can’t abandon what isn’t yours.

1 Like

People abandon cats, and everyone knows, you never really own a cat.

3 Likes

Shhhh! Don’t let Hartzel hear you!

quite true. Except it’s more like ‘America to Taiwan: Get the hint…’.

I believe America is using Taiwan the same way it has all along. Taiwan allows for the US to keep China as an Enemy. China has made it clear that their new policy is to put a smile on their face, wipe the crust out of their eyes and put on a show for the world to absorb, all the while building a military designed to dominate the Pacific. History has seen this facism before, it is hard to curtail and at some point will need to be faced.

Hitler and his Third Reich did the same thing. He promised his military buildup was for defense purposes and many of the neighboring diplomats bought into his message. Then he started taking things that he felt were ‘his’, the rest of the world had to declared war on HIM. Suddenly both sides felt they were ‘dragged’ into something, unwillingly, by the other. Of course this is exactly what Hitler wanted to have happen.

The only difference now is that China and Taiwan, by the time any conflict may arise, will be fighting each other with their lady boy armies as is the concern here.

The USA is at a point were it needs to sit back and see what plays out. Maybe Taiwan reunites with China and everyone is happy, maybe the DPP wins in 2012 and we enter a 4th Taiwan Strait Crisis. From what I can tell, the US Navy is brimming for some real action as the Middle East wars are winding down. Is Taiwan being abandoned or just used as bait? Seems this has been the status quo since 1971.

ABC while you are running your little propaganda here.
Let’s click just one page away from the one you intended to use.

http://www.examiner.com/taiwan-policy-in-national/taiwan-independence-movement-grows-despite-opposition-by-usa-roc-and-china?cid=parsely#parsely

Reviving this thread to say that this abandonment idiocy apparently affects emeritus professors in Australia too. Here, for your Friday night consideration, is what Hugh White thinks of us:

Guy

3 Likes

I’ve gotten the impression these past few years that Australia is already run by China, more even than the US or Canada.

This post was prescient

More than Canada or the US, maybe, but not a vassal or puppet

Point in case, Australia has gotten a taste of Chinese hurt feelings (including from pushback against political interference) impacting their economy in recent years, and they know they’re better off under the current world order than under a Chinese sphere of influence. This has been discussed in the international press a lot for a few years now.

Just recently there was a poll released that a slim majority of Australians were willing to go to war with China over Taiwan…

1 Like

It is logical. To avoid war against a persistent aggressor, concede. Eventually you concede everything.

1 Like

And don’t forget Africa.

1 Like

Can the US have it both ways?

As we know, that worked out great in the 1930s and 1940s. :neutral_face:

Guy

Also running Australia ?

There have been times when Taiwan itself–or at least parts of it–seemed to be considering abandoning Taiwan:

Allen T. Cheng, “Did He Say ‘One China’? Chen tried to, but the DPP balked,” Asiaweek.com, July 15, 2000

Shih Hsiu-chuan, Vincent Y. Chao and Rich Chang / Staff Reporters, with CNA, “General’s alleged comment draws fire,” Taipei Times, June 9, 2011

Chris Wang / Staff reporter, “Schools to teach Nanjing is ROC capital: ministry” Taipei Times, December 4, 2013

Taiwan News, Staff Writer, “Taiwan should be open to unification with China: ex-President Ma,” Taiwan News, November 1, 2019

1 Like

That Ma-era initiative led to the anti-black box student movement, led by high school students, who pushed back and occupied the Ministry of Education—which was actually in Taipei, and not in Nanjing—in protest.

Guy

1 Like

I don’t mean to quibble, but I thought that one was mainly about the lack of a proper deliberative process for the Cross-Strait Services Trade Pact:

(boldface added by me)

Interview with China Post, posted on Taiwan Voice (on Facebook–think a log-in is required in order to view the interview, but I think the interview is available in part or in whole elsewhere on the Internet), March 26, 2014

Oh, that was the sunflower movement—massive protests, hundreds of thousands of people involved, with the famous occupation of the Legislative Yuan and the attempted (and failed) breach of the Executive Yuan in 2014.

The 2015 anti-black box movement I referred to is pretty nicely summarized and analyzed here:

Guy

1 Like

Ah, my apologies. I forgot about that one.

But I’m going to let my point stand about Taiwan itself, or at least parts of it, “considering abandoning Taiwan.”

Kinda hard to favor someone who doesn’t always seem to favor himself.

On the other hand, though, if the US isn’t going to support Taiwan, then it’s none of the US’s business if Taiwan develops nukes (not that I like nukes–I get the creeps thinking about them).