Americanisms

…and THEN you change into a CAT!!!

A fine American Cat once said:

“… Baby, I know the first CAT is the deepest…”

And what’s with this “French Fries” rubbish? They’re CHIPS! That other crap that Americans call “chips” are CRISPS.
Freedom Crisps!

I just think it’s hilarious that you blokes from across the pond say ‘rubbers’ instead of ‘erasers.’ I had a Brit co-worker ask if I had a rubber on me, which forced me to laugh at her. I thought maybe she wanted to make balloon animals for her kindy class. (Rubber = condom in America)

[quote=“jimipresley”]And what’s with this “French Fries” rubbish? They’re CHIPS! That other crap that Americans call “chips” are CRISPS.
Freedom Crisps![/quote]
‘Crisps’!? I’ve always been inclined to greet that term with much mirth.
It sounds like the linguistic initiative of a dirty runt of a buck-toothed brain-addled schoolboy who has been reading too many “Dandy” comics.
Mind you, ‘French Fries’ should more accurately be called ‘Belgian Fries’, as they were the folks who first decided to clog their arteries in such a wonderful fashion.
‘Pommes Frites’ or just plain ‘frites’ or ‘fries’ would appear to be the more accepted vernacular on an international level.
‘Chips’ would seem more applicable to poker, wood, or dried bovine deposits.
:moo:

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]‘Crisps’!? I’ve always been inclined to greet that term with much mirth
It sounds like the linguistic initiative of a dirty runt of a buck-toothed brain-addled schoolboy who has been reading too many “Dandy” comics.[/quote]
That’s mirth? :ohreally: Sounds like derision.

[quote=“Maoman”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]‘Crisps’!? I’ve always been inclined to greet that term with much mirth.
It sounds like the linguistic initiative of a dirty runt of a buck-toothed brain-addled schoolboy who has been reading too many “Dandy” comics.[/quote]
That’s mirth? :ohreally: Sounds like derision.[/quote]
It is derision. Which usually follows my darker shade of waspish mirth, cantankerous curmudgeon that I be.

TGM -
Fritz the Cat…whatta character…in his true environment…

&

Mirth, derision, ridicule…all appropriate…(IMO)

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]
‘Crisps’!? I’ve always been inclined to greet that term with much mirth.
And what, may I ask, is wrong with “Dandy” comics? You a “Whizzer 'n Chips” fan?

My tastes when I was a buck-toothed brain addled schoolboy ran more along the lines of Judge Dredd, Andy Capp, and the odd Beano.

Doubt you were reading Judge Dredd and Andy Capp when you were five.

5? I couldn’t even read when I was five. I’m talking about 9 or 10 years old. A five year old is not a schoolboy, nor have their teeth become as buck as they can be. As with the addling of the brain. In case one doesn’t recall.

Oooh! 2000AD. All the Americans had was “Archie”. That’s where they learned what a “date” was.

No. The Yanks had “Cracked” and “Mad” magazines. Quite a few years before the 2nd millenium.
And they were both damn fine reading, in their day.
Late '70’s, baby!

Not even to mention Robert Crumb…

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]… “Mad” magazines…
And they were both damn fine reading, in their day.
Late '70’s, baby![/quote]
Dude, “Mad” started in 1952 and is still going strong. In my opinion it was in it’s heyday in the late 60s to early 70s although I didn’t start reading it until the early to mid 70s.

[quote=“jimipresley”]And what’s with this “French Fries” rubbish? They’re CHIPS! That other crap that Americans call “chips” are CRISPS.
Freedom Crisps![/quote]

The correct terminology is found in Canadian English , where “French fries” are referred to as chips and “crisps” are referred to as…chips

[quote=“MikeN”][quote=“jimipresley”]And what’s with this “French Fries” rubbish? They’re CHIPS! That other crap that Americans call “chips” are CRISPS.
Freedom Crisps![/quote]

The correct terminology is found in Canadian English , where “French fries” are referred to as chips and “crisps” are referred to as…chips
.[/quote]

I think that’s the first I’ve seen “Canadian” and “correct” in the same sentence. Besides, isn’t Canadian English just a poor man’s American English with “eh” added at the end of every sentence?

Of course all in good fun… :roflmao:

“It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him.”
George Bernard Shaw.

That goes double for our colonial cousins.

I’m right, you’re wrong. That’s it.

Ok, wtf is a “bug”??? It’s a damn INSECT!
“Jelly”? The stuff that wobbles, NOT the fruity stuff you spread on bread. That’s called “jam”.
“Pies” have meat in them, btw, not apples and cherries. :loco: