Americans psyching me out about safety

Hi all! Let me preface this with: I know this is a super annoying question. I plan to make the move from the US to Taiwan in the next few months. I previously had very little concern (as I don’t read/watch the news lol), but everyone that I’ve been telling has been like “wow, war is about to break out! are you really going?!?!”

I also lived in Korea when there were high tensions with North Korea and people said the same thing, so I know to take everything with a grain of salt. However, I made the mistake of reading some US news articles about it and even though I know they’re probably dramatized, I can’t help but feel a bit nervous. I know no one can predict the future, but I’m just wondering if the mood in Taiwan feels any more tense/concerned than usual.

I’m still gonna make the move, but just trying to not let these people get in my head! Thanks!

Not to any significant degree for most people.

3 Likes

Just keep your friends close and your passport closer.

5 Likes

Well, and some people in Taiwan worry about visiting the US because of the danger of randomly getting shot on the street :man_shrugging:

22 Likes

3 Likes

Just like Korea, technically the Chinese civil war never ended.

There are periods of high and low tension over decades now.

It looks like to me China missed their window for an invasion this decade. They now have significant internal issues they have to face making a successful and probably the most ambitious military campaign of this century very difficult.

Taiwan is overall one of the safest countries in the world in terms of violent and petty crime. It will be similar to your experiences in korea.

To put it in perspective, an invasion of this magnitude would take months to prepare. You would know when it’s time to leave before any action happens.

16 Likes

Unless China snips underseas cables “accidentally” like in the Red Sea. Oops, no more FB or IG for the island.

1 Like

Your friends in the US are absorbing US media, which is building the narrative of war with China over Taiwan to the public. Which means yes, the powers at be are dead set on this war.
Problem is none of us sheeple know when this will happen.

5 Likes

That happened in Matsu. People were VERY upset. Couldn’t order breakfast with the app. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

That would be an act of war. China would be prepared before they would do that.

What I’m saying is the risk of a sudden random invasion is unlikely. With today’s technology and level of intelligence gathered. An invasion can’t be hidden like D day. China can’t just drive some tanks over here like Russian did to Ukraine.

1 Like

This is what really scares me.

2 Likes

It seems that was also the case with Russia and Ukraine. The US media was dead set on building up that narrative, which means the powers that be were dead set on that war.

Its definitely what happened with Iraq though. You could see that one coming miles away. There was like a board meeting five years earlier where they decided on it or something.

3 Likes

Makes you wonder why China can’t smell it from a mile away.

I mean, if I were Xi, and I sensed that the US was hell-bent on a war between China and Taiwan, I’d do everything I can to avoid anything that could be perceived as aggression.

1 Like

Hmm are they really though? I get the rah-rah I don’t like U.S.A vibe you have consistently shown, but it is a couple of bridges too far to suggest that the U.S is at all interested in war with China at this juncture. If you haven’t noticed, other parts of the world are in way worse shape, thanks to Russia, Hamas/Bibi, etc.

Even Haiti is going to shit as we speak. A bit of a braindead take really, to think the U.S is chomping at the bit to go to war with a country they are so deeply connected to economically.

Back on topic:

No need to be alarmed moving here imo. As other posters have said already, barring any unforeseen anomaly, it can be determined months in advance a build up of military presence indicative of possible invasion.

China has many other tools they are using to try to get at Taiwan that does not involve kinetic warfare. These tools aren’t going to work abruptly/overnight.

5 Likes

There is no sense of impending doom here. We also have a few threads discussing the likelihood of invasion and most of us agree it is unlikely to happen any time soon.

The traffic is generally considered a bigger problem on here. We’re of divided opinions about the food (don’t believe the hype about that, either). Both of those subjects also have dedicated threads :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

What if there’s a sudden blockade though? It wouldn’t be any less threatening ultimately.

Put your mind at ease, they’ve been banging that drum for decades. As well they should. If China tries to change the status quo through force, there will be a war.

1 Like

A comprehensive blockade would still take time and no way China wouldn’t have a lot of military activities in the region preparing for war.

A soft blockade would mostly just disrupt trade in the region. Meaning they’re targeting commercial trade not civilian movements and military actions.

In both scenarios, I would think people would have a chance to leave before it gets serious.

For China to escalate the situation, they would likely be prepared for war as other countries would do so.

7 Likes

I’m not sure what’s going on with American media but a hot war between Taiwan and China is going to turn ugly very fast, and not just Taiwan too. Those of you who is thinking of bugging out to Japan, that’s next after Taiwan. If they blockade Taiwan they’ll blockade Japan too.

But I’ve noticed lately that Americans have gotten a LOT more nationalistic, and seem to be absorbing propaganda really readily yet still talks about government conspiracy.

I don’t agree corporate media wants a war with China. I see it as sensationalism brought on from the Ukraine war. Corporations benefit from the status quo unless you’re the few companies like Raytheon in this instance.

But I see it as a benefit as more countries, people, and businesses are now paying attention to the security risk of such a war.

2 Likes